TOK Essay title #5

Kira Chan

For May 2014, we have five titles for out TOK essay and I choose the title #5 which is

5. “The historian’s task is to understand the past; the human scientist, by contrast, is looking to change the future.” To what extent is this true in these areas of knowledge?

However, I'm total stuck with this question. Can anyone tell me which specific real-life situation (my teacher requires the situation has to be specific) I can talk about in this tittle? And what is the counter-claim I can use?

You save my life.

Thank you

You have to come up with those things yourself. I would suggest looking at a different question if you don't understand this one, there is no point struggling over something you don't understand because you won't be able to form a strong argument.

However, you can use examples of some scientific research that is used to cure illnesses (e.g. the thing in the news about a new way of preventing alzheimer's disease) and compare it to how history doesn't do this? Although, that argument would have to be developped.

Feel free to message me if you need any more help (hopefully I will be able to help you)

• Like 1

http://www.thersa.org/events/rsaanimate/animate/rsa-animate-changing-paradigms

could someone please help me Identify at least three perspectives on this and analyse them: what are the knowledge claims of each perspective?

please help!!!!

Ahh that is such an interesting video! Ummm I don't really know what you're asking to be honest. However, if you're asking for ideas that you can take from this video, here are a few:

• The role of education throughout history--> you could move on to create a knowledge issue about whether or not it is useful/good/right to base modern day society/rules on the past/using history
  • Examinations: what do they really tell us? Can we really measure intelligence?
  • The systematic setup of schools: what does it tell us? Do we naturally feel the need to categorise and organise everything?
  • Education, has it turned into the brainwashing of young people? Does it actually really help us?

Obviously, I'm not going to analyse these for you and come up with knowledge issues, but I hope this gives you some kind of idea.

Guest ashika1235

could someone please help me Identify at least three perspectives on this and analyse them: what are the knowledge claims of each perspective?

please help!!!!

Ahh that is such an interesting video! Ummm I don't really know what you're asking to be honest. However, if you're asking for ideas that you can take from this video, here are a few:

• The role of education throughout history--> you could move on to create a knowledge issue about whether or not it is useful/good/right to base modern day society/rules on the past/using history
  • Examinations: what do they really tell us? Can we really measure intelligence?
  • The systematic setup of schools: what does it tell us? Do we naturally feel the need to categorise and organise everything?
  • Education, has it turned into the brainwashing of young people? Does it actually really help us?

Obviously, I'm not going to analyse these for you and come up with knowledge issues, but I hope this gives you some kind of idea.

omg thank you so much!!

please help!!!!