HOTA IA topic

Regina Nugent

I would say that its a good topic, but maybe could be refined a little. For example, to what extent can it be claimed that it was the prohibition (dates) that enhanced organised crime in the US (dates)?

With this topic, you could probably make the investigation one that is based on a film or something, simply because I feel like I've heard this topic quite a few times before.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely present it in a way that you can argue one point against the other. You only have about 700 words for the analysis in the end and you'll be surprised at how quickly those words run out! Make sure your question is as focused and specific as possible.

Could you maybe look at a certain person or group's involvement in organised crime and how it was affected by the prohibition?

Also may stay away from the word 'create', as I'm sure organised crime would have been around long before the prohibition.

You also need to define a time frame. So maybe something along the lines of 'to what extent did the prohibition in the US affect the development of organised crime from X date to Y date?'

Also, TWE questions invite you to bring in other factors and compare them with the main one in your question. If you aren't too keen on bringing in other factors you maybe change it to something like 'what was the significance of.....' Instead.

Hope that helped!