Research Methods for Socio-Cultural level of analysis

The Rainbow Connection

Hi there,

For the syllabus outcome: "Discuss how and why particular research methods are used at the sociocultural level of analysis (for example, participant/naturalistic observation, interviews, case studies)."

The two methods I was going to look at were: experiments and observations with Asch (1951) as the lab experiment and Bandura, Ross and Ross (the bobo doll 1961) for the observation.

However, I'm a bit confused as Bandura is also conducted within a lab, so would this fall under experiment or observation?

Are these appropriate methods to discuss? Would a different study like Tajfel 1971 or Sherif be more relevant?

Thank you!

Hello,

If you can change the study from Bandura's Bobo Doll experiment to another, you should probably do so, considering that although it is non-participant, it is a laboratory experiment. You should probably change it to a naturalistic observation, quasi experiment, survey... Have you considered Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions to discuss surveys as a research method? I think that would be the best idea.

Good luck with your November exams!