Sign in to follow this  

Presentation Opinions about my TOK presenation plan!:) About culture and beauty

Hi!

I’m having my second tok presentation soon, and as my first one was really bad (10/20 points) I would really like to have some opinions what do you think about my second presentation's topic and the plan generally:). As I really would like to succeed this time.

Real-life situation:

http://www.marieclaire.com/world-reports/news/forcefeeding-in-mauritania or other similar news, how in some culture women are forced or do something, as they are viewed then beautiful.

Knowledge issue: To what extent does our culture define what we view as a feminine beauty?

→ first I would tell my own definition of culture (paradigms, customs and traditions etc) and feminine beauty. And feminine beauty is something that most of the people think in the culture: what is the general view.

So for instance, in my real-life situation the woman don’t necessarily want to be fat

Exploring the knowledge issue: So first I would explain more about the culture that who do belong to it and what are their ways of knowing (so language, emotion, reasoning, faith?) and I would discuss what are the roles of religion, arts and history in the culture.

Linking back to the real-life situation: Now I would consider, how the things I explained earlier, affect the culture which I have in my RLs. (So for example, if the culture has some kind of religion which tells them to do dress the way they do, and the culture is really religious, so that is why they dress the way they do. )

Different perspectives and connection to other real-life situations: I would take maybe five different cultures (or as many as I have time to) and then briefly tell what they view as feminine beauty, what effect does their language (and the other WOK) affect it and also what role does the effect of their religion, art and history if any, have on the feminine beauty.

I’m really interested on doing my presentation on this topic, however, I don’t want to do it, if I’m not able to get high marks:(. So, any comments and improvements are appreciated!

Edited by chralel
  • Like 1

I think you repeat yourself while exploring the knwoledge issue (KI) and that may get some points off your presentation (whose topic is great, I must say :clap: )

How about mention what the women think about the idea of beautiful and about the fact that they have to do something to make themselves more beautiful? By doing that, you can consider the way of knowing (WOK) and areas of knowledge (AOK) like how the AOK and WOK shape the KI/ the ideal image of women in women mind?

In the end, have a solid opinion about how do you feel about this topic/ which side would you take if this is a debate? :gathering:

Kira chan: Thanks for your comment!

Yes, I noticed now how I have repeated the things:D But of course I won't repeat them in the presentation, I will arrange them better, this is only the plan.

But I dont know is that then too big topic? I mean, because every women thinks in a different way, so it's hard to ''generalize'' my opinion. Hard to explain:s.

But nice that at least you liked my the topic!:) Since I really find the different cultures interesting:D

Yes, I noticed now how I have repeated the things:D But of course I won't repeat them in the presentation, I will arrange them better, this is only the plan.

But I dont know is that then too big topic? I mean, because every women thinks in a different way, so it's hard to ''generalize'' my opinion. Hard to explain:s.

But nice that at least you liked my the topic! :) Since I really find the different cultures interesting:D

Yes, it's true everyone thinks in a different way, so generalising can maybe get in the way. However, this is part of your knowledge issue, discussing what shapes our point of view. I think this topic is really good and you need to remember to keep it related to ToK and discussing problems with knowledge. Also, don't worry about your opinion being different from other people as this is directly related to your knowers perspective. Feel free to message me if you need any more advice!

• Like 1

But nice that at least you liked my the topic! :) Since I really find the different cultures interesting:D

Yes, it's true everyone thinks in a different way, so generalising can maybe get in the way. However, this is part of your knowledge issue, discussing what shapes our point of view. I think this topic is really good and you need to remember to keep it related to ToK and discussing problems with knowledge. Also, don't worry about your opinion being different from other people as this is directly related to your knowers perspective. Feel free to message me if you need any more advice!

Thanks for your comment, it was helpfull! :)

However, would the knowledge issue then be better if it would for instance be: ''To what extent does our culture define our knowledge what we view as a feminine beauty?''

So, then I would first discuss how the different WOKs and AOKs shape our point of view. Then after discussing this, I would link this to the feminine beauty i.e. how our WOKs and AOKs shape our view of feminine beauty. After that, I could present the different perspectives, so what I have explained earlier is seen in the different culture. What do you think, is this more TOK/knowledge?

The ''different perspectives and linking to other real life situations'' I would present in a way that first I tell about briefly about the culture, and then what is their ideal woman. After that, I would tell, how they use the WOKs in their culture, i.e what they consider as knowledge? Plus, if I would then tell how much the AOKs have and effect inside the culture? ----> How these effect the feminine beauty.

I think that te WOK which I could use are language, faith and reason, as I can somehow myself see how these are used in the cultures. Then, I also think that the AOKs could be arts and religions, as also I can see how they are used in the cultures.

What's your opinion? :) I'm sorry, but I'm really bad at TOK, it's just so difficult for me to understand:(.

EDIT //// Is it possible to leave the AOKs out of the presentation? Since, now when I looked information about the cultures and realized taking them account is difficult. So, is it possible, if I only discuss the different ways of knowings...?

Edited by chralel
  • Like 1

Thanks for your comment, it was helpfull! :)

However, would the knowledge issue then be better if it would for instance be: ''To what extent does our culture define our knowledge what we view as a feminine beauty?''

So, then I would first discuss how the different WOKs and AOKs shape our point of view. Then after discussing this, I would link this to the feminine beauty i.e. how our WOKs and AOKs shape our view of feminine beauty. After that, I could present the different perspectives, so what I have explained earlier is seen in the different culture. What do you think, is this more TOK/knowledge?

The ''different perspectives and linking to other real life situations'' I would present in a way that first I tell about briefly about the culture, and then what is their ideal woman. After that, I would tell, how they use the WOKs in their culture, i.e what they consider as knowledge? Plus, if I would then tell how much the AOKs have and effect inside the culture? ----> How these effect the feminine beauty.

I think that te WOK which I could use are language, faith and reason, as I can somehow myself see how these are used in the cultures. Then, I also think that the AOKs could be arts and religions, as also I can see how they are used in the cultures.

What's your opinion? :) I'm sorry, but I'm really bad at TOK, it's just so difficult for me to understand:(.

EDIT //// Is it possible to leave the AOKs out of the presentation? Since, now when I looked information about the cultures and realized taking them account is difficult. So, is it possible, if I only discuss the different ways of knowings...?

Ok, so I must admit it's not all that easy to give perfect advice for ToK because you really just have to keep on trying to develop ideas, and it takes forever!!

Firstly, I will tell you that it seems more difficult than it is. Your presentation should be based around a Knowledge Issue, you should then try and brainstorm about ways of answering this Knowledge Issue (a.k.a. coming up with Knowledge Claims and Counterclaims). In doing this, you will use your real-life examples and bring in your knower's perspective.

I don't want to give too much specific advice because I'm not sure it will help you, given that I don't know enough about your topic. So, have a look at this website: http://mrhoyestokwebsite.com/ and hopefully this will help guide you.

I think you have a good knowledge issue and you just have to find ways of trying to answer it, whilst incorporating different perspectives, knower's perspective, real-life examples, WoKs and AoKs.

Edited by under-cover