IB Music: Some help please

bill.yuan

Hi, I'm going to take music sl next year and i have a few questions about the solo performance part. My instrument is the piano.

1. When is the earliest that i can do my solo performance on? Does it have a set date like the exam or can i do it whenever i want.

2. What kind/genre of music should i play and if i'm playing a piece with more than one movement do i have to play them all?

3. I've completed my grade 10 in RCM and i got 70% so if I play as well as i did for the RCM how many points would i get?

4. Does anyone know or heard about someone who got a 7 in music sl?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Edited by bill.yuan

ok this is what I know (i'm not an expert but anyways):

1. theres an specific date for you to send the audio, but if you want to record it before I think it's possible. I dont really know if this is possible but maybe you can do multiple performances and choose the best one to send

2. The genre is the one that you choose BUT choose a repertory that has a lot of genres Include a folk piece the IB loves it (trust me) the more cultures and genres you have they will appreciated more.

3. Remember that the performance is the 50% of the final grade in music!! so try to get it perfect, they not only evaluate the way you play but also the way you communicate the music to the public :)

ok hope this help you :)

good luck

Edited by Daniela96

I'm not taking IB music, but I have received my ARCT from the RCM and I've tutored IB music students before.

It is likely that at least a couple of your Grade 10 pieces would be excellent choices. What did you play for your repertoire?

If you have done any contemporary Canadian works (like by Alexina Louie), some of the more musically complex ones (Scenes from a Jade Terrace or I Leap Through the Sky With Stars) would be perfect fits.

I'd put as much work into your performances as possible. Passing your Grade 10 is a huge accomplishment! But since there isn't oodles of technique being assessed your repertoire will be expected to be at a higher standard then RCM (think ARCT level).

Good luck! I'd love to hear back from you.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Make sure your rep varies from modern to traditional styles. So try to have a slow and fast piece, and have then ranging from romantic, baroque and classical! It would be awesome if you could get in some Jazz, or since you play piano, perhaps a Gershwin? Examiners like it when students have a large variety of music as it shows one's capable in playing any style (;