Can you drop a group 3 subject?

Hello, I'm a year 11 student currently taking 7 subjects since the IB coordinator at my school has informed me that we must take one subject from every subject group (and i have to take two sciences for my major). Anyway, I was wondering if I could drop economics and choose not to take a group 3 subject at all. My friend who goes to another school has done this, however the IB coordinator at his school had to contact the IBO in order for this to get approved. Is this possible or was he kidding? Thank you.

There are some students who aren't taking a group 3 subject and are doing an "irregular" diploma. The reason for this is because the specific university you want to go to requires for example all three main sciences (biology, chemistry, and physics for medicine in some countries) and you can't take a group 3 subject, in that case you have talked to your IB coordinator about it and gotten explicit permission from the IBO to do it. You can't just not take a group 3 subject if you are "overworked" or don't like humanities subjects, you still have to take it if where you want to apply doesn't have strict requirements for entry.

• Like 1

Economics isn't a requirement for what I plan on studying in uni (architecture). So per se I plan on going to a university that requires that I have Physics, Visual arts, and Design technology, and i brought some sort of letter from the admissions representative of that university and used it as evidence for my, well, need to drop economics, would that work?

• 2 weeks later...

There is someone at my school who is taking three languages, but like your friend she had to ask for special permission, and she is the first person in the school who is doing three languages. I suggest you ask your IB coordinator, because it is very rare for someone to leave a group blank.

Actually taking 3 languages is possible under normal standard diploma conditions. You take your native/best language for A1, your foreign language for Group 2 (either ab initio, B, or language and lit/literature), and then for Group 6 which is the arts but also an elective option where you can take another subject from Group 1-5, you can take another language (another A1 or another language at B or ab initio level).