Is my teacher slow?

rinik

He is going to begin calculus this week and he still hasn't covered statistics or the option. I have been studying on my own and I am almost done with the core. Should I begin the option or wait for the rest of the class? Can somebody share their experience or give me some advice?

Edited by rinik

I am having the same issue, we just finished differentiation, yet we haven't covered probability, vectors, complex numbers, and the option.

When it comes to experience i have non to add. i can barely keep up with my slow moving lessons.

You are doing the right thing studying alone. If you are decisive to continue studying the option alone, i would suggest getting a tutor if possible, it might help speed up your solo-classes.

Statistics was a really short topic, so rinik, you're probably fine since you have until the end of april to cover two long topics: calculus and the option, which surely can be done.

And Fiz have you done integration? if you have than you're probably fine too, though your teacher might want to hurry up a bit. Because probability was pretty long for us, but 2d vectors and complex numbers go hand in hand, and that shouldn't take too long, hopefully. I don't know how long 3d vectors take. However the option, no matter which one you do, always takes a while - so assuming your teacher doesn't spend to much time on the core, your class will be able to cover the entire syllabus before the exam.

Our class has yet to do most of the option, poisson and normal distribution and half of vectors.

First time ever teaching IB mathematics, score ranges 3-5 a year. never more than a 5.

In this case I highly recommend you use your text book and attempt to go through it in your own free time... Just remember practice makes perfect - reading notes won't suffice, do all the practice questions you can get your hands on, and before tests and co do past paper question. If you have trouble understanding a concept (which surely you will - we all do) ask your teacher anyway, even though you're ahead of the class - even though he/she might not be a great teacher, they still know their math and can help you. Of course you can also ask the kind people on the forum, feel free to PM me at any time :)

• Like 1

In my opinion, he is slow. My HL class was done with the core in the end of the 1st IB year. Currently, we're halfway through our second revision and the options.

Maks123456, I think your teacher is super-fast. Did you and your classmates even understand all the topics well enough??

rinik, When I was in IB2, at this time, we were doing Calculus and struggling to do our first portfolio (we had two to do). We hadn't covered statistics nor the option. And after doing some extra classes, we just managed to finish everything by April. So I guess you aren't that slow. But if you feel confident enough and have the time to, start with the option. But please make sure whether you can choose your own option or if the whole class will be registered for one option only--you wouldn't want to waste precious time studying an entire option just to realize you won't be doing your exams in that option.

Edited by Masoomali fatehkia
  • Like 1

Yes, he is super-fast. However, his theory is that Mathematics needs time to settle down in your brain, sink so to say. And frankly, I agree with him. I can't imagine struggling with HL Calculus in the beginning of IB2. It would be pure hell. Now I'm done with all, IAs and all, and I've got to do is revise for the exams themselves.

Yes, he is super-fast. However, his theory is that Mathematics needs time to settle down in your brain, sink so to say. And frankly, I agree with him. I can't imagine struggling with HL Calculus in the beginning of IB2. It would be pure hell. Now I'm done with all, IAs and all, and I've got to do is revise for the exams themselves.

To a certain extent I agree with this. I agree with your teacher a lot. However I don't need to revise my previous topics. We are not covering the material as fast as you but the previous topics are something like my mother tongue at the moment. I don't need to study or revise it's something I know and use almost everyday.

Thanks for all the replies. You all helped me a lot. I have a lot of time if I don't slack off. I should stop wasting my time with stuff like this and focus on preparing for the final exams.