Sign in to follow this  

English Extended Essay (How Can I Improve my research question?)

I'm writing my IB extended essay in English literature on the novel, "Delirium" by Lauren Oliver. My current question is, "In what ways is the motif of love portrayed to be a symbol of both light and darkness in Lauren Oliver’s Delirium?" How can I improve this question?

Edited by IBgirl96

Is the assumption behind your research question that motif of love is portrayed in order to become a symbol of light and darkness in Lauren Oliver's Delirium?
So, "light" and "darkness" function as symbols in your book, right? Do "light" and "darkness" consist themes related to motif of love?
I think the idea behind your question is great, but it needs to be better worded and needs to become clearer.

• Like 1

Yes, the motif of love is indeed protrayed to become a symbol of both light and darknes. Light and darkness are symbolized in the form of the way in which love is portrayed. How can I make my question more clearer?

Try this: "In what ways does the motif 'love' function in the novel as a symbol ?"

Or

"What role does the motif of love play in the novel?"

-- two somewhat different questions, with more room in the second for expansion and inclusion of other ideas. I am not sure how you would attempt to answer the first, without a very technical (and possibly non-literary) treatment.

Have your supervisor check these out.

• Like 1