Sign in to follow this  

Can I still be an engineer if I don't take Chemistry?

Hi! This is my first year of IB and I think I've made a big mistake. I'm planing to go to engineering program (probably mechatronic or mechanical) in Thailand and they don't accept IB scores so I have to take SATs anyway. I take physics HL and math SL and I'm quite happy with all of my classes until today. My dad walked up to me and said "Wouldn't the university checked if you have take chemistry in high school before?"... To be honest I never take chemistry in high school. But I have chemistry class in academies outside of school. He also said it is my fault to take psychology and economics instead of taking double sciences. Now what should I do..... I didn't do any wrong, did I?

Edited by hellorainchan

I don't know how the application system looks like in Thailand, but using common sense, chemistry will not be very useful for either mechatronic and mechanical engineering. I think it might be beneficial to take another science but surely not compulsory and lack of it shouldn't decrease your chances.. If I was to be concerned about any of Your subject choices, it would be Maths SL, because most of the universities I know of, would rather like HL for engineering degrees.

Or maybe something has changed since I was applying and my data are outdated...

Edited by Slovakov

No, chemistry does't matter for mechanical engineering usually. Check out Imperial Collage website. It has pretty high requirements and does not require chemistry for mechanical engineering, but it requires math HL. If you have extracurricular chemistry - that's great!

I had the same doubts with chemistry.

No, you didn't do anything wrong, maybe just hasty.

I think this would largely depend case by case. I obviously don't know much about unis in Thailand, but I'm just throwing it out there: I believe all Canadian Engineering programs require you to have a chemistry course completed in order to get accepted.

Chemistry definitely helps if you want to get into engineering. However, check the university requirements for the unis/colleges you are considering applying for because they just might have it as a compulsory subject.