Business Studies and US universities

I heard that Business studies is considered a "soft" subject by the top univesities in the US. Since my school doesn't offer economics, does studying business put me at a disadvantage over other students who take harder subjects like history or psychology? Is it a big factor in admissions??? :)

I heard that Business studies is considered a "soft" subject by the top univesities in the US. Since my school doesn't offer economics, does studying business put me at a disadvantage over other students who take harder subjects like history or psychology? Is it a big factor in admissions??? :P

Hey

yea according to what I've hears, they dont eally consider it as a subject at our level as you get no college credit for it however for economics or other subjects you do!! but seeing your subjects i think you should be fine

HL

Business and Management

Biology

English A1

SL

Spanish AB initio

History

Math (SL)

Hey

yea according to what I've hears, they dont eally consider it as a subject at our level as you get no college credit for it however for economics or other subjects you do!! but seeing your subjects i think you should be fine

The thing is I've been having a dilemma if I should choose psychology SL over business SL, even though I'm taking a business degree in the future. Any advice? Which should I choose: the "soft" but relevant choice or the more respected subject that has nothing to do with my chosen career? :S

The thing is I've been having a dilemma if I should choose psychology SL over business SL, even though I'm taking a business degree in the future. Any advice? Which should I choose: the "soft" but relevant choice or the more respected subject that has nothing to do with my chosen career? :S

I no nothing about US admissions etc., but if I were you, I would defenitely go with Business if that's the relevant choice, why study something that you will not need only because it is a respected subject?

I no nothing about US admissions etc., but if I were you, I would defenitely go with Business if that's the relevant choice, why study something that you will not need only because it is a respected subject?

Well, to be honest, if you want to get into, say an Ivy League uni, you just can't afford to do B&M. They won't consider you a competitive candidate... So unfortunately it is better to take a 'useless' subject...

Well, to be honest, if you want to get into, say an Ivy League uni, you just can't afford to do B&M. They won't consider you a competitive candidate... So unfortunately it is better to take a 'useless' subject...

Even if I were to take it at SL??? :)

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, when I heard this, I got a bit scared becuase I'm doing Business HL but all my other subjects are still considered "soft" like math studies etc and I am Economics bound but my school doesn't offer Economics. However, I talked this over with my IBC and he said that my IGCSE Economics counts towards the American Diploma transcript that I will be using for Uni admissions. I think if possible you could do an extra subject that would count as a credit in the transcript and I dont think necessarily it should be an IB subject.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you'd better state clearly in your application form that you were not able to do Economics. It really depends on which university you're trying to apply to while talking about competitiveness and credit transfer. In my opinion, I think it's just helpful to have some prior knowledge if your desired major is Business-related. Furthermore, please don't mistake Business Studies of A-levels and Business & Management of IB course.

I heard that Business studies is considered a "soft" subject by the top univesities in the US. Since my school doesn't offer economics, does studying business put me at a disadvantage over other students who take harder subjects like history or psychology? Is it a big factor in admissions??? :sleep:

why is business studies considered a soft subject? is it really that easy? my school doesnt even off it!!!