Accelerated Maths Studies

JordanFarah

Ok, so here's the deal. I am a part of a new program at my school, which comprisises of about 15 boys doing the IB Mathematical Studies Course in one year instead of the standard two. Effectively this gets all maths out of the way, and leaves us time to do other subjects in year 12. My problem is that they have basically just thrown our IA deadlines at us, without really taking us through possible topics and having conversations with us about how/what to choose.

I am looking along the lines of a footballing topic such as; "Investigating the relationship between the height/weight of a player and the amount of goals per season in European Football" or something like that. The variables could be changed into something such as "Investigating the relationship between the salary of a player and the amount of goals per season in English Premier League Football".

I just want to know if i am on the right track, and also i would like some tips on the formulas and stuff to use. Any reply would be great.

Edited by JordanFarah

Hey,

my friend wanted to do virtually the same topic- the relationship between a player's salary and his goals per season- and that was shot down immediately by his teacher for being way too simple, and for oversimplifying and leaving out way too many variables. I don't know what he's doing now, but why don't you try expanding that idea to clubs? E.g. find a relationship between club spending per year and the number of points they made in the premier league that year (or maybe in more leagues than that). Use data from different years, then model a function that allows you to predict the relationship in future years.

For a studies IA, this should be more than enough depth. You could then suggest in your reflections that this could be used to compare the standard of different leagues as well.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there, but I hope that helped a bit!