Sign in to follow this  

Weird iB form at my school only?

Hello,

I'm in 10th grade and I was wondering if anyone else's school has the same formatting for iB, and if this is a downfall. Here in America, (Not sure about some of the foreign countries) there are also AP classes and Honors.( Along with basic) The way my school splits iB up seems a little odd, just wondering about your guys' opinions on it.

Freshman year (Grade 9)

Critical thinking and study skills

Pre-Ib Spanish/French

Ap Human Geography

Algebra II/Geometry (Depending if you took geometry online after 8th grade-Honors/ib)

Pre-Ib Bio

Pre-Ib English

Sophomore (Grade 10)

Ap European history

Pre-ib Spanish/French

Pre-ib chemistry

Ap English Lang & Comp

Algebra II/Pre-Calc (Honors/ib)

Elective (Most take Ap human/Ap Psych)

In Junior and Senior year, the "real" Ib starts, but I'm just wondering if this will set my friends and I up for the "real thing," or hurt us. Any thoughts?

Looking at the classes that you have there, I would say you will be just fine. In Peru, until you get to your IB year (11th grade and then 12th - or sometimes 10th and then 11th) you have to follow the national curriculum, which isnt very similar to the IB curriculum. With scarce previous knowledge that will, most likely, differ from what you are going to learn in your following years, students here manage to get good grades.

I am pretty sure you will be fine.

The same thing happens in Australia as in Peru. We follow the national system until year 11 and 12 (IB level 1 and level 2). We have been able to produce some excellent results. So I'll think you'll actually be very prepared going into IB

In Sweden we do three IB years, after our 9 years in elementary school. The first year is just a pre-IB year, where we get to know all the subjects and "practice" for the "real" IB. I don't think there's anything weird with the IB program at your school!

That seems similar to my school (btw, iam in grade 10 too) and i my school did the IB for approx. 25 years or so already and i guess it worked out :)