Struggling with Physics

Gogpo2

Hey guys

So I'm in my final year of IB and there are only 7 months until the final exams (2 months until my mocks). Although I score 6s and 7s in my subjects, I am pretty much on square one in SL physics. My teacher doesn't know much about the subject (I don't think he is even qualified to teach IB physics) and even though I've attempted self study (with the Pearson's textbook), I simply don't understand the maths behind the concepts on the course and have even more difficulty applying it to complex exam questions. I'm also very stuck on my IAs as I'm having troubles with processing and analyzing data, therefore I have done no coursework so far either.

I tried a core topics test and couldn't answer a single question. It's too late to change subject now. Any advice or resources that could help? What have you done to keep on top of IB physics? Thank you, much appreciated.

The Pearson textbook has easier (although not easy) questions in the exercises. If you start on them, and make sure your nailing them, and then move onto the topic tests then that can help. also Pearson Physics has worked solutions for all the questions on the internet. (The HL ones are here http://www.contentextra.com/bacconline/bacContentFiles/physicsFiles/PhysicsHLSolutions/index.html, otherwise Google should have them) If their is anything you don't understand they usually go through them clearly. Generally they really aid with understanding.

• 3 months later...

A little late but I'm in the same boat - My physics teacher is a joke, so my class has had to teach themselves ... I've had a bunch of tutors (my current one is awesome) but the main thing that has helped me is going through the official IB syllabus by topic and making notes according to the sections. I use the Kirk Oxford Study Guide, which is a lot more helpful for me because the information is pretty clear, and I don't have to go searching through paragraphs of text and deciphering when I'm making my notes.

Along with the notes, I've made notecards for each topic based on the syllabus, and go through them often.

Try to aim for 6s & 7s on your IAs, to compensate for any issues with exam grades, and good luck!

• Like 1