Need some subject choosing guidance.

Talalwarsi5897

Hey, people. I really need some help with this. I'm not a fan of math but weirdly enough, I'm good at it. (I got a 95% in the IGCSE). So I've taken math HL and to be honest, It's proving to be a massive pain in the butt. I'm finding it quite difficult and my first term grade was, embarrassingly, a 1. I was surprised out of my mind, considering I've never flunked a paper, ever. The thought to take business HL and Math SL has crossed my mind a few times recently. I don't particularly like business either, but it seems like I can cope up more with it than math HL. I haven't decided what career I want to pursue, yet, but I'm more than sure It's nothing math related.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :D

I'm not too keen on Eco. It's business or nothing for me.

My future options are somewhere along the lines of chemical engineering, biotechnology, medicine, etc.

I will still be doing math SL if i switch, but i want to know If math HL is required for any of those fields.

Thanks, man.

For requirements just check your university website. I don't think it's required anyways.

My future options are somewhere along the lines of chemical engineering, biotechnology, medicine, etc.

I will still be doing math SL if i switch, but i want to know If math HL is required for any of those fields.

Thanks, man.

Depends on the university, really. A number of top universities in the UK would likely ask for HL maths if you are doing Chem Eng, but other unis may be happy to accept SL. I don't think the other two require HL maths, so you would be fine there.

What are your current subject choices?

Thanks, man.

Depends on the university, really. A number of top universities in the UK would likely ask for HL maths if you are doing Chem Eng, but other unis may be happy to accept SL. I don't think the other two require HL maths, so you would be fine there.

What are your current subject choices?

I've taken Chemistry, biology and Math HL and Business, English SL with French AB initio.

I've taken Chemistry, biology and Math HL and Business, English SL with French AB initio.

I don't really know much about the B&M syllabus, but I'd presume the jump between SL and HL isn't as large as it is with maths - at least that was the case with economics for me. You may want to consider taking it at HL, then either drop maths, or leave it at HL for a bit longer and see how it goes.

To be honest, I'm not too sure how you would do in HL maths as the year progresses. The jump from grade 10 maths is massive, there's a much larger emphasis on problem solving. Since it takes time to get used to it, you may see yourself improving if you continue, especially if you were good at it in your previous years. At that same time however, there is also the chance that you don't improve quite as much as you want, plus it can be a lot of work as you already know. If that's the case, it'll likely be better to drop it, lower the workload and score higher overall.

Try talking to your IB coordinator about it, along with your B&M teacher about moving up at this point in time. Best of luck, hope it turns out well in the end. :)

• Like 1

I don't really know much about the B&M syllabus, but I'd presume the jump between SL and HL isn't as large as it is with maths - at least that was the case with economics for me. You may want to consider taking it at HL, then either drop maths, or leave it at HL for a bit longer and see how it goes.

To be honest, I'm not too sure how you would do in HL maths as the year progresses. The jump from grade 10 maths is massive, there's a much larger emphasis on problem solving. Since it takes time to get used to it, you may see yourself improving if you continue, especially if you were good at it in your previous years. At that same time however, there is also the chance that you don't improve quite as much as you want, plus it can be a lot of work as you already know. If that's the case, it'll likely be better to drop it, lower the workload and score higher overall.

Try talking to your IB coordinator about it, along with your B&M teacher about moving up at this point in time. Best of luck, hope it turns out well in the end. :)

Thanks, man. Even if i drop math HL, I'd still have to take it at SL. One last thing, Is the difference between Math HL and SL extremely significant?

Thanks, man. Even if i drop math HL, I'd still have to take it at SL. One last thing, Is the difference between Math HL and SL extremely significant?

Huge difference between Maths SL and HL.

• Like 1

Don't take math HL if you don't need to or want to; massive waste of time and resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

I'd only recommend math HL for people who actually have an affinity for math.

Big difference in exam question formation and difficulty between SL and HL.

• Like 1

Don't take math HL if you don't need to or want to; massive waste of time and resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

I'd only recommend math HL for people who actually have an affinity for math.

Big difference in exam question formation and difficulty between SL and HL.

I don't like math nor do I want to have anything to do with it in the future. So I guess I'll take SL then?

P.S- Damn, bro! You got a 45? God knows how much you would've had to work for that.