Ecological Pyramids (ESS)

J500

Hey Guys,

I was just going through Chapter 3 (Ecosystems) in the ESS Course Companion when I happen to arrive on the Ecological Pyramids section (on page 48). I noticed that there was a split in the bar for the producers. Does anyone know the reason for this? What does the split suggest?

l'll be really thankful to anyone who could help! :)

P.S. I think someone posted a similar question earlier, but there wasn't a proper reply, so I thought I'd start a new topic...in case any one knows.

Here's an image of the split in the pyramid:

http://imm.io/1jDH2

Edited by Jane500

Good Point.

I have the image on my Desktop! Is there a way for me to directly upload it on here, without having to provide a URL?

or Would it better to make a new post with the image attached?

Edited by FJ500

Hmm! Now I get what you meant. I don't have a 100% sure answer for your question, it might be representing that the last bar should be bigger and the broken line there is put to show that you are supressing a part of the data. It might also be that it is saying that it is a "grazing ecosystem", so the number of producers keeps growing. Other than that, I cannot think of anything.

Hmm! Now I get what you meant. I don't have a 100% sure answer for your question, it might be representing that the last bar should be bigger and the broken line there is put to show that you are supressing a part of the data. It might also be that it is saying that it is a "grazing ecosystem", so the number of producers keeps growing. Other than that, I cannot think of anything.

thanks for the reply! can you please tell me more about the "grazing ecosystem''...

hopefully someone has a definitive answer to this question...it's been bothering me for quite a while now! :S

Hey there!

I'm pretty sure we used the same textbook at my school, and we were a bit unsure about this for a while ourselves. However, after some research, I'm now confident that the split implies that the bar representing producers is not proportional in size, meaning that it should in reality be much bigger. It's similar to the symbol used for graphs where the x-axis does not start at 0, but at a higher or lower number, as is the case with the graph underneath:

sQMdX.png

(Source: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/79269/how-to-show-the-data-does-not-start-at-zero-symbol-on-a-pgfplot-graph)

It has nothing to do with the fact that this specific pyramid represents a grazing ecosystem, that would be irrational to believe. There are many different ecosystems out there, why would only grazing ecosystems have their own symbol?

• Like 3

Hey there!

I'm pretty sure we used the same textbook at my school, and we were a bit unsure about this for a while ourselves. However, after some research, I'm now confident that the split implies that the bar representing producers is not proportional in size, meaning that it should in reality be much bigger. It's similar to the symbol used for graphs where the x-axis does not start at 0, but at a higher or lower number, as is the case with the graph underneath:

sQMdX.png

(Source: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/79269/how-to-show-the-data-does-not-start-at-zero-symbol-on-a-pgfplot-graph)

It has nothing to do with the fact that this specific pyramid represents a grazing ecosystem, that would be irrational to believe. There are many different ecosystems out there, why would only grazing ecosystems have their own symbol?

Hmm...that makes more sense!! Thank you so much. :D

One more question. How did you manage to attach the image to your post?? :hmmm:

If I'm not mistaken, you can only attach images that are already online in one way or another. Go to the page where you found that image, copy the URL to the image (not the actual page, you can often get this URL by right-click and select 'Copy image address' or 'open in a new tab'), press the Image button in the simple text editor here at IBS and then paste the URL into the box before you press 'OK.'

• Like 1