Concerns of a grade 9 pre-IBer

Royster Zhang

Basically so far in IB I find it quite an enjoyable experience. As I do not have Math and English this semester there isn't much homework. However I am just wondering - for the later years, how long do you guys sleep every night? And do grade 11 and 12 IB students get spares?

Another thing is, since I am so free now, I am thinking about preparing for SAT - I live in Canada - and take it in grade 10 as if I take it in grade 11, I will need to be quite assiduous as I also will have lots of school work. My question is, what other productive activities should I do or learn now that could possibly make my later years less onerous?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely work on your time management skills! Try out different techniques and figure out what works for you- lists, calendars, or something else?
I felt just how you feel right now at the beginning of IB, but I'm in grade 12 and it's not as bad as you might imagine (or I have just gotten better at managing my time).
I didn't get any spares last year or this year, so I guess that's a drawback..but I guess I'm used to it now. :dontgetit:
Good luck :)

Basically so far in IB I find it quite an enjoyable experience. As I do not have Math and English this semester there isn't much homework. However I am just wondering - for the later years, how long do you guys sleep every night?

I slept about 7 hours per night, less when I had a test the next day.

And do grade 11 and 12 IB students get spares?

I didn't get any in grade 11 or 12.

Another thing is, since I am so free now, I am thinking about preparing for SAT - I live in Canada - and take it in grade 10 as if I take it in grade 11, I will need to be quite assiduous as I also will have lots of school work. My question is, what other productive activities should I do or learn now that could possibly make my later years less onerous?

No idea about SAT since I didn't take it. Just enjoy pre-IB. There isn't a whole lot you can do to prepare for IB. I found that even being in pre-IB wasn't that helpful except for my math classes which were more advanced. Just have fun, work hard on your current subjects and get good grades; if you can maintain a good work ethic during pre-IB then you're more likely to maintain a decent work ethic during IB.

I would figure out a sleeping schedule or at least what times and how much you like to sleep. Definitely become organized, but that is easier said than done. Develop good relations with your teachers; they will be you resources! Also, I decided to take the ACT at the end of my sophomore year, and I am glad I did! If you can, go ahead and get those tests over with, so that way you can focus on your work later on. Good luck!