nadineolsson

I'm a year 1 IB student and i've just about started the process of creating my extended essay which is due in a year.

My topic/research question, however, is due one week from now.

I've come up with one that i thought was pretty okay: "To what extent does the corruption in Indonesia affect its economy?"

I went to my economics teacher and asked him about this and he said that

1. it was too broad

2. i won't be able to find any first-hand data since corruption is hidden

So now, i'm lost again.

i'd appreciate any help or ideas that i can get.

here are my IB topics by the way:

HL:

English Literature

Mandarin

Business

SL:

Biology

Economics

Mathematics

I'm a year 1 IB student and i've just about started the process of creating my extended essay which is due in a year.

My topic/research question, however, is due one week from now.

I've come up with one that i thought was pretty okay: "To what extent does the corruption in Indonesia affect its economy?"

I went to my economics teacher and asked him about this and he said that

1. it was too broad

2. i won't be able to find any first-hand data since corruption is hidden

So now, i'm lost again.

i'd appreciate any help or ideas that i can get.

here are my IB topics by the way:

HL:

English Literature

Mandarin

Business

SL:

Biology

Economics

Mathematics

yeah your teacher is correct. it is broad and getting data will be a problem.

have you done economics before? or have you covered a sufficient amount of syllabus in class? what do you think? because at that stage wouldn't it be hard to decide what topic you wanna work on. do you know what you're good at? do this, go through the content page, see which topics you're good at. from what i know, an EE is generally easier on the microeconomcics section, because getting data is easier. i'd recommend you to focus your topic onto the region or town in which you live. and if you're going for the microeconomics section, there's demand supply(with PED/S), market failure, price controls and i the different types of market(perfect competition and all) so find an interesting issue in your area that you would like to investigate.. if you do want to work with taxes and all instead of these, find out if there's anything on your town and if you can get info. if there's a market for a particular good you would like to investigate(testing whether it's a monopoly, for example) and look into it. and slowly you'll be able to formulate the research

hope i helped.

• Like 1