Languages Topic Ideas for TOK oral Presentation

Pierre Reynaud

Hi, I have to think of another topic for my tok oral presentation,and I can't think of one, I already searched for a good topic related to "languages" in the internet and I can't find one, can someone help me, or tell me any idea related to "languages". I still don't know if I can choose this topic: "Can we think without language?"

PS: I speak 4 languages so that's why I would like to do it about this topic.

Edited by Pierre Reynaud

Like user under-cover said in your last post- your presentation title has to relate to knowledge. Theory of Knowledge. Without incorporating it you won't get good marks in your presentation.
I don't think this topic relates directly to knowledge (I may be wrong, but I don't think I am) so I think what you should do is really familiarize yourself with Knowledge Issues (KIs) and other aspects of the ToK course. You can do this by reading the ToK guide provided by the IBO, or certain threads in the ToK forum on this website etc. etc. Then look into what constitutes a ToK presentation. This way you will be able to come up with a relevant topic for your presentation and hopefully achieve good marks.
Btw- you can do lots of stuff with language in ToK it just has to be relevant ;)

• Like 1

^^'' yes I know that but thanks for reminding me of it
hmm... I already readed the TOK guide, some Knowledge Issues, and a guide for the TOK presentation. And i still don't know any relevant and original topic for the presentation :|
^^ okay :)
do you know if this topic would work? Might the language(s) we speak affect how we understand ideas?
and does it matter if someone already asked this question? because I don't want to be accused of copying someones research

If you want your presentation to be about language and you are looking for something relevant, I would suggest reviewing the "Language" section in the TOK textbook. A really interesting article for example was "Does your language shape how yo think?" You could read that and see if there is any KI you would like to address. Thinking in a broader way, just read some articles about linguistic research. They are doing really interesting research and I'm sure you'd find something there.

Hmm... I'm not the most knowledgeable person to ask about ToK so I suggest getting second opinion XD But, I think it could work. I mean I think you could definitively link this to AoKs (e.g. the sciences or history), get good personal and general real-life situations, get sub Kis and use the WoKs!
I don't think it matters if someone has already done that questions as long as the content of your presentation is your own. I mean, just a while back I found some youtube videos of ToK presentations on the same topic by two different people! :)

Edited by Erasmusrasmus

Hi Pierre,

Looks like you've already got some good ideas and advice from Erasmusrasmus and Ibb... This idea of how language can shape how we perceive the world (well, how we are predisposed by language to notice some things and not others) is a fascinating one. It is called "linguistic relativity." If you look this up you'll find some good subjects for your TOK.

And it looks as if this is a great start to a personal exploration for you ...of the different "yous" that emerge from living in 4 languages. Which languages do you speak, by the way? I expect you feel that you are not the same person in each - and that each offers you perspectives unavailable in the other. And perhaps you find yourself struggling to express ideas familiar in one but not the other, and knowing that you will be understood on other terms than what you mean. And it is not merely a question of not having the right vocabulary and grammar, either. That's the white elephant in the language classroom ... ;)

Claire Kramsch is just one person who discusses the multilingual selves that emerge in, for example, the classroom, student diaries or online chat lines. She speaks, among other things, of the apparent understanding we have when interacting in one shared language, which often proves illusory. It is all very eye-opening. Let me see... Her books include _Culture in Language Teaching_and _The Multilingual Self_ but there is a lot available online, free, written by her together with others. If she is not useful to you now, she will be (later)) for a personal understanding of how you are your "self" in different languages. She gives one of many brilliant examples illustrating how language and identity are bound together right in the first chapter of _Culture and Language Teaching_ involving a German exchange student discovering her "American" self in Germany, and needing to express that self in German using phrases and terms which do not exist in German -- at least not with quite the same sense as in Anglo Saxon. Her host father asks her "to close the door", even though there is no apparent need - no draft, no noise, no distractions -- and she struggles to say in German "I'm sorry". There is no real equivalent in German, it seems. But the question is: why does she feel the need to say this? And what norm is behind a German host father's request asking to close a door? These are mundane examples of linguistic and cultural exchanges, often the subject of puzzlement and jokes between Anglos (on the obsessive Germans) that, in Kransch's hands, turn out to be anything but mundane.

I'll see if I can dig up more examples, but it would help if you settle on a TOK Topic.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

Sorry but looks like my teacher doesn't want me to change topic for my oral presentation ><
But your info was very helpful if I had to do it on languages, thanks :)
But can somebody help to rephrase this question so that it's possible to find more knowledge issues and AOK related?

Edited by Pierre Reynaud