Geo or History SL?

Physicist

Hey...

I'm three months into IB1 now with physics HL, maths HL, chemistry HL, danish A SL, English B HL and history SL.

However I've been thinking about whether to change history SL to geo SL.

I intend to study physics at Oxbridge.

Please don't write that I should go for the one I'm most interested in; they're equal to me. Since I need a lot of time for my three science HL, I want to spend as little time as possible and take the easiest one (and the easiest one to get a high grade in; preferably 7). So what do you think I should take? Btw, are they equally recognized by universities (or don't they care, since I will be studying physics?)

I'm open to your opinions. Thanks.

Edited by Physicist

I would recommend changing to geo (but maybe that's just a personal preference?). I heard from people that it is relatively easy to study/learn and most of it is based on general knowledge, as opposed to history. Hence, in my opinion taking geo will give you more time to focus on other subjects.

Best wishes for whatever you choose.

• Like 1

Geography is actually relatively easy for you to grasp the knowledge, however, there is actually a LOT to memorise, for me, it's quite similar to biology. There are some parts to the course where it basically relies on your common sense and you can try to improvise things if you're really desperate and stuck.

Considering you are doing eng B HL I'm thinking your English is o.k. but not as strong as the sciences? History is a subject that requires you to write a lot of essays for practise and a lot of reading/memorising as well.

I'm doing geography as an HL subject and it the work load is definitely less than Bio HL and Maths HL (I'm considering moving to SL because it's tooo crazy). Also, do some research on the teachers for the two subjects because you don't want to be stuck with someone that doesn't know what they're talking about half the time!

• 1 month later...

Hey...

I'm three months into IB1 now with physics HL, maths HL, chemistry HL, danish A SL, English B HL and history SL.

However I've been thinking about whether to change history SL to geo SL.

I intend to study physics at Oxbridge.

Please don't write that I should go for the one I'm most interested in; they're equal to me. Since I need a lot of time for my three science HL, I want to spend as little time as possible and take the easiest one (and the easiest one to get a high grade in; preferably 7). So what do you think I should take? Btw, are they equally recognized by universities (or don't they care, since I will be studying physics?)

I'm open to your opinions. Thanks.

Warning you at this point that I dropped the IBDP due to the relevancy of my brain characteristics being similar to the characteristics of the brain of ants, I will state that Geography appears to be the best fit for you. Since you would like to become a physicist in the near future, I would recommend Geography due to the fact that it is related to Physics more than a general overview of history regarding topics of political development would be. As a note on the side, I was always better at Geography, which would obviously be in opposition to History. I, however, will state that I did well in History and Geography. Although I think that Geography is important due to the fact that we need to know in regards to where locations are located, History would be also important due to the fact that we cannot be ignorant in regards to the mistakes that we performed in the past. My teacher, which would have been during the last academic-oriented year, actually integrated both of the topics to fit in one class. Ultimately, the decision would be for you to decide.