Math Exploration - Structure?

J500

Hey Guys,

I was just working on my exploration but I'm a bit confused with the structure. So, bascially...the main things I want to know are:

• Do I need to give a hypothesis at the start of the exploration?
  • What kind of things should I include in the evaluation/conclusion?
  • How should I organise the exploration, i.e. what format should I use?
  • Do you have any tips for getting full marks in the exploration?

Any help would be appreciated! :D

Edited by FJ500

This is from my teacher's site. He won't mind me sharing.

Internal assessment is an integral part of the course and is compulsory for all students. It enables students to demonstrate the application of their skills and knowledge and to pursue their personal interests, without the time limitations and other constraints that are associated with written examinations."

The following additional comments will be helpful.

• The topic you choose should focus on the math of the chosen area of interest.

• The paper should be approximately 6-12 pages.

• It must contain a Bibliography. Also cite teacher conversations

• If technology is appropriate then it should be used.

Additional Notes to the Criteria

Criterion A: Communication

The key here is that your peers should easily follow your work. It is helpful to define and explain each mathematical concept or process before it is used. For example, the formal definition is given and a simplified example is shown. Mathematical steps should be explained, but the bulk of the calculations should be written in equation format not paragraph format. When variables are introduced they are defined, a variable should never appear without being explained first.

Criterion B: Mathematical Presentation

The key here is to use proper mathematical notation, not calculator notation. Thus * for multiplication and ^ for exponents are big no-nos. If you are using a concept that is best shown in a diagram (condition probability), then it is best to present it that way. Properly organizing data into tables is also important. In both cases these diagrams need to explained and referenced in the paper. They should never appear in an appendix.

Criterion C: Personal Engagement

Throughout the paper you should show some personal engagement in the topic The paper should include your hesitations, frustrations and/or compromises along with an explanation to your solutions. For example: (1) You were particularly perplexed as how to proceed and talked it over with me. Through our conversations you found a solution or a work around. You should then add all this to your paper. The paper shouldn't be written as a dry piece of work where it appears you knew everything all along. The paper could reflect back on a personal level. (2) You have explored a topic and then have related to friends or family. If I ask you why you are personally interested in this topic and your response is "UMMMMMMMMM", then this topic is probably not going to show much personal engagement. Personal engagement is not "I love this because it is so pretty."

Criterion D: Reflection

Somewhere in the paper you have reflected on your work. Some of this will come in the form of personal engagement. This criterion is more about self-assessing your work. Asking questions like, "This may be over simplifed because...", "I wonder what would happen if I extended this to...." "Further study can be done by looking at....."

Criterion E: Use of Mathematics

Mathematics must be at the level of the course, understanding should be evident and correctness of the mathematics are all important. The key is not to try to go beyond the course level. You are trying to only apply what we learned in this course to an area you are personally interested in. This is not about generating new mathematics.

Edited by r1111
  • Like 3