Pool/Pocket Billiards Extended Essay Feedback!

IB .

Hello IBers,

I would greatly appreciate if you guys could give me some feedback/suggestions towards my EE topic and research questions.

Main topic : Geometry's relation with pool/pocket billiards

Two different research questions of the same topic

The efficiency of geometry to model a perfect game in pool/pocket billiards.

The efficiency of geometry to model the key strategies and techniques of pool/pocket billiards.

If you are going to suggest to me to read the EE of Alhazen's Billiard Problem, I have already read it :)

Anyways, please tell me what you guys think and give me some feedback in modifying or improving my ideas.

Thank you very much

Hey, i think this is a great idea! The "research questions" are not too broad but not too specific either, good job on that. If you're wondering why i put "research questions" in quotes is because they're not questions, haha. Just some suggestions: You can get carried away with a topic like this, remember that your thesis should have the main idea and the rest of the essay is all supporting details. If your two questions are the ones above, then make sure you don't start asking and answering a bunch of others. Hope this helps, good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Would the efficiency of geometry to model a perfect game in pool/pocket billiards be more appropriate for an essay or the efficiency of geometry to model the key strategies and techniques of pool/pocket billiards.

I would like to know if "perfect game of pool" or "techniques of pool" would be the most appropriate in terms of writing the extended essay.

Thanks.

Hey Everyone,

Would the efficiency of geometry to model a perfect game in pool/pocket billiards be more appropriate for an essay or the efficiency of geometry to model the key strategies and techniques of pool/pocket billiards.

I would like to know if "perfect game of pool" or "techniques of pool" would be the most appropriate in terms of writing the extended essay.

Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean in either of your suggestions... When you say perfect game do you mean least number of shots to pocket all 8 balls? If yes, then I don't see how you can model it... it really depends on your luck in the first shot, and from there onwards it's a matter of what place the cue ball is and the position of the other balls. And what do you mean by techniques? can you elaborate?

Hey Everyone,

Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean in either of your suggestions... When you say perfect game do you mean least number of shots to pocket all 8 balls? If yes, then I don't see how you can model it... it really depends on your luck in the first shot, and from there onwards it's a matter of what place the cue ball is and the position of the other balls. And what do you mean by techniques? can you elaborate?

Yes, I believe that would be considered a perfect game, and what I mean by techniques and strategies of pool are the basic strokes and techniques that are used in the game of pool, such as bank shots, jump strokes, et cetera. Would this be an "appropriate" topic that I can write about? Feel free to suggest other ways in which I can go about talking about this topic.

Thank you very much