Economics HL

Hi all

I am currently doing my GCSE and will be giving my exams in May next year. I have to submit my IB options form soon. I have decided mostly all my options but I am really struggling with the Group 3. Our school offered us this course similar to B&M in GCSE Level but it was more practical and not much theoretical. I want to take 2 sciences at HL and languages and maths and SL. That leaves me Group 3 to be taken at HL. However after discussing with a few people they suggested me that I shouldn't take B&M at IB HL since its not worth much in the end. Mostly people did economics at GCSE Level and then did it in IB HL. I really want to take economics at HL but the fact that I have never done it before is freaking me out. Would you please tell me if me never studying it and then doing at HL would be a major nightmare or not?

Thanks!

I'll be honest. It may be a bit tough at the start but (assuming you have a good + experienced teacher) you'll get the grasp of it soon enough. Just take it slow and do extra revision at home.Talk to the teacher to consult your queries, whenever you have them.

It'll be fine..don't worry! I take both Business and Econ HL. It can get a bit stressful at times but personally, I love both the subjects.

I would recommend you go for it but the ultimate decision is yours! :)

One more thing! Economics requires 4 IAs and Business HL requires you to do an IA on a REAL company (with real Profil and Loss accounts etc.)....you might want to consider that before taking your final decision!

Cheers.

• Like 1

One more thing! Economics requires 4 IAs and Business HL requires you to do an IA on a REAL company (with real Profil and Loss accounts etc.)....you might want to consider that before taking your final decision!

Cheers.

4 IAs? didn't they change it to 3 commentaries in the portfolio? i have only done 3.

Hi all

I am currently doing my GCSE and will be giving my exams in May next year. I have to submit my IB options form soon. I have decided mostly all my options but I am really struggling with the Group 3. Our school offered us this course similar to B&M in GCSE Level but it was more practical and not much theoretical. I want to take 2 sciences at HL and languages and maths and SL. That leaves me Group 3 to be taken at HL. However after discussing with a few people they suggested me that I shouldn't take B&M at IB HL since its not worth much in the end. Mostly people did economics at GCSE Level and then did it in IB HL. I really want to take economics at HL but the fact that I have never done it before is freaking me out. Would you please tell me if me never studying it and then doing at HL would be a major nightmare or not?

Thanks!

well, like the person above, i also do B&M and economics HL..

however, your decision should depend on what you want to do in the future. why have you taken 2 sciences? are you doing med or something?

since you haven't done economics before, you will most probably find B&M simpler, but again, it depends on the teacher and your interest towards the subject. you probably won't be able to think of all this now since you've got a while, but still, if you could just think of what could be more useful. could you possibly major in business or economics when you're in college? in IB, you might find applying economic theories difficult, but once you get the hang of it, i'm pretty sure you'll like the subject. i've got a few friends who are doing it at HL but hadn't studied it before the IB.. it just takes good effort with great interest from your side.. that way you can pick up pretty much any new subject.

• Like 1

Cheers.

4 IAs? didn't they change it to 3 commentaries in the portfolio? i have only done 3.

Hi all

Thanks!

however, your decision should depend on what you want to do in the future. why have you taken 2 sciences? are you doing med or something?

since you haven't done economics before, you will most probably find B&M simpler, but again, it depends on the teacher and your interest towards the subject. you probably won't be able to think of all this now since you've got a while, but still, if you could just think of what could be more useful. could you possibly major in business or economics when you're in college? in IB, you might find applying economic theories difficult, but once you get the hang of it, i'm pretty sure you'll like the subject. i've got a few friends who are doing it at HL but hadn't studied it before the IB.. it just takes good effort with great interest from your side.. that way you can pick up pretty much any new subject.

Our teacher told us to do 4 (or more if we want) but then for the actual portfolio we can pick the three best ones!

Cheers.

Hi all

Thanks!

Our teacher told us to do 4 (or more if we want) but then for the actual portfolio we can pick the three best ones!

oh okay yeah, we were told that in the start as well.. just 3 commentaries are killing us.. i'm sure no1 in my year will do more than that :P

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about not taking it at GCSE, since IB Economics doesn't have a specified prerequisite. Your teacher might move slightly faster at the start, but I don't think it'll be too much of an issue.

I personally took Economics at HL for similar reasons, but it turned out to be rather enjoyable. The concepts themselves really aren't that hard to grasp, especially at the beginning they are intuitive and logical for the most part. There's really not that big of a gap between HL and SL either, it's just that you have a maths paper and a couple of extra topics.

• Like 2