Geography SL or History SL?

Physicist

Hey

I am three months into IB1 and considering whether to change history SL to geo SL. My higher level subjects are

Math HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

I want to focus more on the sciences as I intend to study physics at uni. Would you recommend me changing to geo?

I've heard it is almost impossible to get a 7 in history...

Is it easier to score a 7 in geo SL?

Also, what about the difference in work load and essays...? In general, what subject do you find easiest?

And please don't answer that I should stick with what I enjoy, because I don't like either of them.

Any help would be appreciated!

History is definitely one of the hardest IB subjects you could take. I am doing History HL and I am loving every minute of it. But seriously, you only do well in History if you are really into it, since you are even considering changing to Geo SL then you should definitely do it. Geo is also probably the easiest to score a 7 on out of any of the social sciences. I have some friends doing Geo and their lives are much easier, it also depends on the teacher, to be honest. I'd go for Econ SL if I were you, unless you hate Econ. I like Econ because it's very easy once you grasp the concept and the concepts all make sense, less memorisation, unlike Geo and History and as long as you remember the few economic terms you can answer questions with common sense and won't require much added work. The essays might be the hard part but you'll have two years to master that.

• Like 1

History is definitely one of the hardest IB subjects you could take. I am doing History HL and I am loving every minute of it. But seriously, you only do well in History if you are really into it, since you are even considering changing to Geo SL then you should definitely do it. Geo is also probably the easiest to score a 7 on out of any of the social sciences. I have some friends doing Geo and their lives are much easier, it also depends on the teacher, to be honest. I'd go for Econ SL if I were you, unless you hate Econ. I like Econ because it's very easy once you grasp the concept and the concepts all make sense, less memorisation, unlike Geo and History and as long as you remember the few economic terms you can answer questions with common sense and won't require much added work. The essays might be the hard part but you'll have two years to master that.

Unfortunately my school does not offer econ. I enjoy history, but I LOVE physics. I want to spend as much time on it as possible. Thanks for your answer; I think I will change to geo. Is it true that it is nearly impossible to score 7 in history?

Unfortunately my school does not offer econ. I enjoy history, but I LOVE physics. I want to spend as much time on it as possible. Thanks for your answer; I think I will change to geo. Is it true that it is nearly impossible to score 7 in history?

No! You can do it, it just takes hard work.

I would say history is better but thats probably just because I enjoy it. Most important question is: is your history or geography teacher better? Which one will help you and give you the support you need?

• Like 1

Both teachers are good. I just want the subject with least work and easiest to score a 7 in.

No subjects are easy to get a 7 in though! You really have to figure out whether you want to spend your time learning about history and writing essays, or learning about geography and doing quite a different type of exam. Also, I think that history is a more common subject so you will be able to get more help (and loads of textbooks) on it, especially on this site you can get loads of help.

I'm taking SL Geo, and I find I'm getting a lesser workload than my friends who are in SL History. I don't like any of the group 3 subjects offered at my school (if only Psychology existed in my school). One of my friends showed my the SL Econ syllabus and I found it truly horrifying, and I see the Business Management kids in my Math class studying for that course every day, while I'm not stressing as much about Geo as I am about Biology or Math. So I suggest you switch to Geo, cuz I feel like it's an easy 6 at least, if not 7.

Edited by musicvip78
  • Like 1