Annotated Bibliography?

Flomer

What do you mean? And why you would you want to annotate a bibliography? It should simply be providing the reader/examiner with the exact information for citing the source. Also, bibliography isn't part of the word count either way

According to Cornell University, an annotated bibliography is "a list of citations to books, articles, and documents. Each citation is followed by a brief (usually about 150 words) descriptive and evaluative paragraph, the annotation. The purpose of the annotation is to inform the reader of the relevance, accuracy, and quality of the sources cited."

Therefore I thought it might be a good idea to annotate the bibliography, but I'm not sure what the IB wants.

Edited by Flomer

What do you mean? And why you would you want to annotate a bibliography? It should simply be providing the reader/examiner with the exact information for citing the source. Also, bibliography isn't part of the word count either way

According to Cornell University, an annotated bibliography is "a list of citations to books, articles, and documents. Each citation is followed by a brief (usually about 150 words) descriptive and evaluative paragraph, the annotation. The purpose of the annotation is to inform the reader of the relevance, accuracy, and quality of the sources cited."

Therefore I thought it might be a good idea to annotate the bibliography, but I'm not sure what the IB wants.

Oh ok, I see. Well, the type of citation depends on the school (my school chooses MLA) so for me, I have to follow by MLA rules, which does not permit annotations. You have to find out the citation that your school uses, it is very important!

Hey there!

Honestly, I've never read any article or essay, academic or not, which included an annotated bibliography. I read tons of academic papers in history for my own EE, and none had any annotations in the bibliography. In the IB setting, even when dealing with history, I'd deem it unnecessary and a waste of time.

You have to find out the citation that your school uses, it is very important!

I'm pretty sure the IB doesn't care what format your school prefers, as long as you use a reasonable and consistent way to refer to cite your sources. At my school, people used both APA and MLA for history essays, without any comments from the school itself. If I wanted, I could have used Harvard or Turabian for all they cared. The EE guide gives 7 examples of accepted referencing styles, but the main focus lies on consistency. Anyhow, the school is not the one marking the EE, the IBO is.

• Like 2

Hey there!

Honestly, I've never read any article or essay, academic or not, which included an annotated bibliography. I read tons of academic papers in history for my own EE, and none had any annotations in the bibliography. In the IB setting, even when dealing with history, I'd deem it unnecessary and a waste of time.

You have to find out the citation that your school uses, it is very important!

I'm pretty sure the IB doesn't care what format your school prefers, as long as you use a reasonable and consistent way to refer to cite your sources. At my school, people used both APA and MLA for history essays, without any comments from the school itself. If I wanted, I could have used Harvard or Turabian for all they cared. The EE guide gives 7 examples of accepted referencing styles, but the main focus lies on consistency. Anyhow, the school is not the one marking the EE, the IBO is.

Ok, sorry. I was mistaken. That was just what my school told me though. Or maybe I misunderstood.

I think we can conclude consistency is key and annotations are futile. Yes?

Sorry for the confusion!

The IB have said that for a history EE it is pointless, as it cant count to the word count, they don't mark you for it.

To quote the IB may 2012 History subject report (http://nisis.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/2/9/10295486/ee_subject_report_2012.pdf) "The annotated bibliography continues to survive in some centres but since this can gain no credit for candidates in terms of awards, it is difficult to understand why supervisors and centres should insist on this approach for the extended essay."