HELP! TOK ORAL: What makes a work of art?

ibibib

Im doing my tok oral on "What makes a work of art?" and I dont know how to connect it to TOK besides from the fact that every person sees art in a different way. I found a good question that was how do we interact with art, is it rational? emotional? do we need previous knowledge to know about art?

I need help to as how to connect this to tok to get a good grade :)

Thanks!!

These questions do not really address art in a way that will lead to a constructive TOK discussion. Have you thought of modifying changing your question? Some general questions (from the guide) close to what you are proposing and serving as TOK models of thinking:

*Is a work of art enlarged or diminished by interpretation? What makes something a good or bad interpretation?

*Are the arts a kind of knowledge, or are they a means of expressing knowledge? If the last, what knowledge might they express?

*Does familiarity with art itself provide knowledge and, if so, of what kind? Knowledge of facts? Of psychology or cultural history? Of oneself?

I expect others will chip in with some good ideas. But in the end, it is you that must come up with (phrase) a topic of investigation. It is part and parcel of the TOK experience and will show that you can think "epistemology" (which is, actually, the proper term for TOK).

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

Art is expressed objectively and is received and evaluated subjectively, making it individually definable. It is 6.8 billion different things; as such it is easier to describe it as the way something is done, rather than what it is. For example, a person may look at a pile of debris and see it as art, while I will only see it as debris. The definition that closely relates my definition of art is: “the use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others”. To define something as artistic, such as this photograph, I will refer to how aesthetically pleasing it is. One of the world’s widely acknowledged artists, Pablo Picasso, was quoted to have said that “Painting was just another way of keeping a diary”, painting being his favourable form of art.

Art has always been a reflection of all aspects of society, such as emotions and personal struggle. When a society undergoes through a change, the artwork of that period is subtly complied with it. As Picasso said, “Art is the lie that enables us to realize the truth”; and often the truth is challenging to describe.

Hi ibibib,

This might help with formulating your KI - http://occ.ibo.org/ibis/documents/dp/drq/tok/d_0_tokxx_prt_0912_1_e.pdf

The best examples/models for TOK questions in the table are for the final assessment. Your presentation may not need to be that high on the chart... As stated in this doc.

Edited by Blackcurrant