should we take classes we dont need

That's true, but it does vary from place to place. For example, at my school most of the people taking health over the summer had special permission to do so because they had either genuine academic need to do so [read: chronic sickness] or because they were doing it to get ahead. Most IB people here took health with everyone else and the reason I didn't was because I wanted to take the APUSH study elective so I'd be better prepared for the exam. It was still more painful than slowly deep-throating a cactus, because it's health, but yeah. I could fit it into my schedule [trimesters, yay!] but it's just awkward to take it with sophomores as a junior....

And, you know, we don't really have a choice but it's kind of stuff that forms the basic knowledge we need as thinking humans. It's not really that it's unnecessary, it's just that it's usually badly timed.. if that makes sense? I think that if we had the option of when to take it, it'd be a bit more fair. I'd have gotten health out of the way freshman year if it'd been up to me and taken PE in senior year to destress during exams.