4. “That which is accepted as knowledge today is sometimes discarded tomorrow.”

mablibsking

Firstly, you must come up with your own definition of knowledge as this term is central to your understanding of the question and what you write in your essay.

Your KIs must be something to do with when/how/why knowledge is discarded, think about ways of obtaining knowledge in both AOK, and what WOK are used in order to do so.

You must have KIs for both AOK but a KI may only be applicable to one AOK or to both. I would say find at least one KI for both, one for Sciences and one for History/Ethics. (you must choose either History or Ethics, not both)

Good Luck!

Firstly, you must come up with your own definition of knowledge as this term is central to your understanding of the question and what you write in your essay.

Your KIs must be something to do with when/how/why knowledge is discarded, think about ways of obtaining knowledge in both AOK, and what WOK are used in order to do so.

You must have KIs for both AOK but a KI may only be applicable to one AOK or to both. I would say find at least one KI for both, one for Sciences and one for History/Ethics. (you must choose either History or Ethics, not both)

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot :).

But to which AOK would you consider my third Issue, since it is appropriate for both Ethics and History? I personally have no Idea and I thought about finding new Issue/Real-life situation.

honestly, I don't know much about the topics in #3 because I don't do History and I haven't studied it for a long time now. I used Natural Sciences and History in my essay (same one) but I didn't really bring in events or people, I brought it back to the basics and discussed how knowledge is obtained etc.

I just handed in my paper on this topic today! And I chose natural sciences and ethics as well. I took a different approach though. I said that the knowledge is not discarded but it is evolved throughout time. For your third point that you want to do, if you do history then solely focus on this historical aspect of it and if you choose ethics, ignore the history completely. I found that it was easy to get lost in the history part of it and I ended up writing too much description in my rough draft. Choose whatever you think will make you have a better point.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

I just handed in my paper on this topic today! And I chose natural sciences and ethics as well. I took a different approach though. I said that the knowledge is not discarded but it is evolved throughout time. For your third point that you want to do, if you do history then solely focus on this historical aspect of it and if you choose ethics, ignore the history completely. I found that it was easy to get lost in the history part of it and I ended up writing too much description in my rough draft. Choose whatever you think will make you have a better point.

Good Luck!

Congratulations I hope you get a good mark for your work. :)

After all I am doing very well at the moment with phrenology theory. I don't really have that much in my draft for the other 2 points. So I am trying to find easier issues. TOK essay in ethics is really complicated, I have heard. Since it contains tons of point-of-views and perspectives, which is hard to get up with. I think I will probably choose history though :D.

Our deadline is February !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm doing the same topic with the same AoKs and after my TOK teacher checked it he told me I should concentrate on the key words in the topic (such as accepted, sometimes, discarded etc.), to not explain what the AoKs are about and to always remember about the knower's perspective. Hope I helped! :)

Knowledge Issues I plan to consider:

• How do we know that our knowledge of History / in Natural Sciences is reliable?
  • How do we know that our knowledge of History / in Natural Sciences is permanent?
  • Is there any kind of knowledge that would survive all times (or that would be acknowledged across all cultures)?
  • Who determines what knowledge is accepted and what discarded?