Differences between Physics HL and SL

Juddy

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how Physics SL is different to doing Physics HL. Obviouly HL is a lot harder, but how much harder? How much more effort does Physics HL need in comparison to SL? What are the benefits of doing Physics HL than doing SL? I want to do Physics next year but I'm not sure which level to chose. I usuall get 6's in Physics with a 7 popping up every known and then.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I usuall get 6's in Physics with a 7 popping up every known and then.

Are you already doing IB or you'll be doing it next year? That line above is as if you're already doing IB, but you explicitly mention that you'll be taking it next year...

By the way, for IB Physics, obviously HL is harder than SL, but how you fare with the subject is really up to you. If you are really interested in Physics and have a fairly good skills in mastering the physics concepts as well as familiar with some deep calculation and understanding, then you should be ok.

Here in my school, the physics HL students scored better than the physics SL student, even though HL is supposed to be harder. Those taking SL are mainly humanities student, while those taking HL are engineering students, so I guess that in itself presents a reason why.

If you are really looking at how different HL and SL is, you might as well take a look at the syllabus guide for IB Physics. Look for the Syllabus details - AHL. Those are the additional topics required for Higher level (AHL means Additional Higher Level).

http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?...opic=20#Physics

Well. Yes. HL physics so sooooooooooooo much harder than SL

Only take HL Physics if you enjoy the subject.

I suppose it really depends on what you want to do in Uni.

If you are doing architecture or engineering. You will definitely need HL Physics and HL Maths. I think you should talk to your career counselor.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

ok HL physics and SL physics, isnt as hard a gap as HL chemistry and SL chemistry. i was in HL physics and then i dropped to SL, and im doing HL chem. if you're rather good at calculations, and you can grasp the physics concepts well, take HL. for HL physics IAs, you will have to calculate the error percentages of every apparatus and data. I never got the hang on doing that though...

i dont know i should take physics higher or physics normal.

i'm doing physics SL. i regret not taking HL because i want to study medicine in university, and now i cant because my 2nd science is SL. are you good at physics? if you are, then take HL. but remember, if you take physics SL, you'll have to higher something else. if you absolutely have no other subjects you wish to take at higher level, then just take physics HL

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how Physics SL is different to doing Physics HL. Obviouly HL is a lot harder, but how much harder? How much more effort does Physics HL need in comparison to SL? What are the benefits of doing Physics HL than doing SL? I want to do Physics next year but I'm not sure which level to chose. I usuall get 6's in Physics with a 7 popping up every known and then.

Thanks!

Ok, physics is nothing to enjoy when u take the heavy crap like nuclear and quantum, not to mention the option topics. WOAH. i spent lessons calculating how fast my head would drop on the table to fall asleep. Look at the words photoelectric effect, quarks, leptons, behaviour of electrons. If you dont like them, dont take HL. Personally, i think u need to be the son of einstien to understand HL phsyics. OMG im a moron for taking IB.

ok HL physics and SL physics, isnt as hard a gap as HL chemistry and SL chemistry. i was in HL physics and then i dropped to SL, and im doing HL chem. if you're rather good at calculations, and you can grasp the physics concepts well, take HL. for HL physics IAs, you will have to calculate the error percentages of every apparatus and data. I never got the hang on doing that though...

i think chemistry is the worst subject ever. the IAs do not even help you to pull up your grade, well at least not for mine. I dont even know how im gonna get my 7 for chemistry in the upcoming november examinations. God please have mercy on me.

i'm doing physics SL. i regret not taking HL because i want to study medicine in university, and now i cant because my 2nd science is SL. are you good at physics? if you are, then take HL. but remember, if you take physics SL, you'll have to higher something else. if you absolutely have no other subjects you wish to take at higher level, then just take physics HL

what does medicine need? You've got my all worried. I take chemistry HL and physics SL, with maths HL.

Is that okay?