Data collection and processing - Biology HL

Jemima

I need help with my biology internal assessment!

So far I have a table of my raw data and a table of my processed data (with a column of averages and one of standard deviation).

Do I have to make a graph for each of the tables?

Thanks in advance! :)

PS: If anyone is familiar with OpenOffice, it would be a great bonus!

No you shouldn't need to make a graph of all of the tables. Normally I make two. For example, if you are measuring the effect of glucose concentration on the rate of cellular respiration in yeast, one graph would be of the time taken for each of the variables to reach a certain CO2ppm level without any calculations of rate yet, and the other graph would have your calculated rate values. Why have you calculated standard deviation? I did an IA on the effect of increasing concentration of trypsin, so I'm not sure why you need SD. Nonetheless, you won't lose marks for putting it in!

Feel free to ask me more questions about the IA, I have done 4 in total for HL Bio (and 4 for SL Chem too), and I scored full marks on two of my bio ias

Alright, well I am measuring the rate of reaction for the enzyme Lipase. And how it works under certain temperature conditions. So my two units are time and degrees Celsius. I calculated both the average and the standard deviation because our teacher told us to :/

I guess I'm fine with the first graph..I just need help with how to graph my processed data, because I'm not sure about what needs to be put on the axes in terms of the average and standard deviation!

And thanks for your help! :)

That's fine!

Well, your x axis is always your independent variable (the thing you are changing, so temperature) and your y axis is the dependent variable (the result of what happens when you change the IV, so rate).

Oh well if your teacher has told you to to SD then do it definitely! With the SD though, I'm not quite sure how you will use it... maybe with the error bars to show how much your results vary? Or perhaps constructing a normal distribution curve (sorry but I have no idea how to do this)!

Sorry that I can't be much more help.