How many CAS hours does your school enforce?

I just realized that most schools don't follow the 150 hours quota that IB set up. My school has a requirement of 360hours and a 40 hour cap on an activity, so that's quite a lot. What's yours?

And why do schools have differently set amount of CAS hours required?

Edited by LeeHits

well my school doesn't allow only creative, or only action. We have to have an inclusive project. We only have to have 150.... BUT our school makes it madatory for a whole other project we need 75. compared to that 300... i consider myself lucky.

Oh wow. I didnt even realise that the schools could enforce more than the 150. 360 is CRAZY!!!

yeah we have to do 50 hours service, 50 hours creativity, and 50 hours action. And we are given about 5 terms to do this in. Man is it even possible to do more!! wow, im just struggling with the 150... anymore would most probably KILL me.

How do you get more in plus study AND have a social life....!!??

Im pretty sure you only have to do 150 to get the IB certificate.... surely they cant fail you otherwise....???

-soph x

My Coordinator says it's because our school was one of the first IB schools and they didn't have a set quota for CAS at that time so each school was to set their own. Afterwards, the quota cannot be changed. I call total BS. 360 is too much by any standards. That's NINE longterm activities I have to do from Sept '07 to March '09, basically less than 1.5 years.

We follow the general 150 hours, i.e. 50 hours creativity, 50 hours action and 50 hours service, however we need not to have exactly 50-50-50, just a great mix of the three. AFAIK, no student at our school has ever completed more than 200 hours, I was really shocked when I heard that some of you complete 400+ hours! I think I'll have around 220 hours in the end, pretty good!

• 3 weeks later...

Our school changed from 150 as a minimum requirement to 300. but we have no limited on hours on a specific project (long or short)

however, we should have a long one and a short one in each. it is quit hard to get 300 but it can be done.

I know some people who have managed to get over 500 hours off CAS.... (i could score this if i used all my action things i thnk... like 300 hours of action or so)

Yup 50-50-50.

Though, at the rate I'm going, it's plenty easy to go 360. My hobbies INCLUDE about 5+ hours of C AND S a week, I'm just lacking Action :D.

But it sounds super cool at Kinfiel's school - if you go over, then you can transfer into others. That's sweet. I wish I can do that =P. My friends though, they are in the 'best school tennis team' and like train twice a week and have matches every Saturday. With that, they racked up 50 hours of A in a term.

360 - cinch.

AURON

• 3 weeks later...

300 here. CAS is really easy to get for me and most people. Just join lots of clubs, such as ski/snowboard club, do sports, volunteer outside school, and easy CAS. I would have done those even if they didn't ask me to, because most of them are fun and you learn stuff, meet new and interesting people. >.<

150 hrs with 25 hr cap, 50-50-50.

We got a new CAS mentor who seems a bit confused though... for example, dance only counts as creativity if you choreograph your own dance. Going by the same logic, you'd need to create your own piece if you were to count music as CAS. >.<

Edit: I think schools have different regulations based on how strict they are in terms of monitoring activities. A not-so-strict school would need students to complete more hours than necessary in case some activities are rejected while a strict school would have no problems with just the 150.

Local education requirements also have to be fulfilled so that may change things further (i.e. compulsory community service hours, fitness hours?)

Edited by moneyfaery