Sign in to follow this  

How many CAS hours does your school enforce?

I just realized that most schools don't follow the 150 hours quota that IB set up. My school has a requirement of 360hours and a 40 hour cap on an activity, so that's quite a lot. What's yours?

And why do schools have differently set amount of CAS hours required?

Min of 50hours for each.

my activities can count for all three, so it just depends on how i want to split it...

50hrs creativity, 50hrs action, and 50hrs service, that's 150 :) but my school encourages us to do more <<< yeah right like im gnna waste my "study time' on CAS I'm just gonna do the 150 then I'm sooo done :P

50 community, 50 action, 50 service. Total of 150.

They said they do not care if you do 50 hours for 1 activity for each. They just want to get the CAS hours done.

50hrs creativity, 50hrs action, and 50hrs service, that's 150 :P but my school encourages us to do more <<< yeah right like im gnna waste my "study time' on CAS I'm just gonna do the 150 then I'm sooo done :P

I originally thought that too but I think I'll go over now. At least 200 but hopefully more. :P

My school requires 150 hours--50 each from C, A, and S.

But our IB Coordinator is very generous... all sorts of stuff can be counted for CAS for students at our school, and if someone is short by just an hour or two, the IB Coordinator will still allow that student to get an IB Diploma :P

My school wants 150, but for the new 2010 candidates (AKA me :) ) if we take non IB classes such as Drama I, it counts for creativity or action. So if you take a semester of PE, your Activity hours will be done! Apparently, it's a new IB policy, so all schools should have told that to the 2010 candidates.

As far as I know, only one person in my school failed to complete her 150 hours, and she didn't get a diploma... But I think she was short of a lot of hours, and they had informed her that she had not completed her hours many times.

Ours is 150, but we have this new system this year where it's long-term focused projects, so we have a lot more leniency with filling out CAS logs and such. It's nice, all our Seniors in the IB program are complaining :)

We need a minimum of 50 in each but there are requirements for each trimester or semester. So even though we have finished the 50 hours we still have to do the term requirements (like 10 hours of each in two or three months).

My school requires 50 service hours for our American diploma over the course of the four years of high school. For the IB CAS hours, however, at least 15 hours for Creativity, Action, and Service have to be completed each year for the two years. We don't need 360 hours! But the IB 150 hours is the only requirements needed. If we go beyond the 50 hours in each section then it counts towards our high school diploma service hours.

In response to your last question; I don't know why other schools don't follow the IB quota. Maybe it counts towards the school's own diploma (non-IB) hours required for each student to complete? I have no idea!

;)

50h action, 50h creativity and 50h service

A total of 150 hours.

I'm in IB1 and I'm almost done with action, halfway through creativity and I just started with service.

50-50-50 :P:yucky:

150! :P

360!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?!

That's painful to hear!! 150 and im struggling here!

even 225 is too much :P.

Why though? the IBO only requires 150.