How many CAS hours does your school enforce?

• 2 weeks later...

Our school requires just 150 and in order for the activity to count it has to be at least 2 of the C, A, or S!

But they changed the rules for the new IBers (ones that take exams in 2010!) and they have to do 200 hours. 100 hours first year and 100 hours 2nd year.

We don't have any requirements on how many hours have to be completed the first year and how many the second year. Some people finish their hours in a few months, some the day before the CAS diary is due (and some people make up hours, like "tutoring their classmate").

Our school has 150 hours of CAS as a graduation requirement regardless of whether you do IB or not (diploma, certificate and plain high school diploma students still have to complete it).

I suppose we are fortunate for have fifty in each, but I can understand why a school may want a student to achieve more. Being active in the community can never be a detriment, engaging in sports and whatnot is good for the body, and creativity makes one more well-rounded.

But then again, I have several hundred hours under my belt, so it is not so difficult for me.

My school discourages 'hour counting' so I really have no idea. As long as we meet the CAS requirements through a journal, and continue to engage in clubs and activities for a total of 1.5 school years it's okay. I'm pretty sure we need at least 40 in each category though.

• 1 month later...

My school also discourages talking about it in hours; apparently hours don't matter anymore according to the new CAS syllabus, so we don't have to get 150 hours like before. Although what we actually have to do could probably end up taking more than 150 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Our school changed from 150 as a minimum requirement to 300. but we have no limited on hours on a specific project (long or short)

however, we should have a long one and a short one in each. it is quit hard to get 300 but it can be done.

I know some people who have managed to get over 500 hours off CAS.... (i could score this if i used all my action things i thnk... like 300 hours of action or so)

Hi there!

I have 1500 CAS hours in just my first year of IB1...

Our school requires just 150 and in order for the activity to count it has to be at least 2 of the C, A, or S!

But they changed the rules for the new IBers (ones that take exams in 2010!) and they have to do 200 hours. 100 hours first year and 100 hours 2nd year.

That's rubbish... I'm taking my exams in 2010. The CAS system has to changed to focus on quality more than quantity... that's all...

and btw... I wouldn't really care if they increased it by whatever. I have 1500 hours.

Our school changed from 150 as a minimum requirement to 300. but we have no limited on hours on a specific project (long or short)

however, we should have a long one and a short one in each. it is quit hard to get 300 but it can be done.

I know some people who have managed to get over 500 hours off CAS.... (i could score this if i used all my action things i thnk... like 300 hours of action or so)

Hi there!

I have 1500 CAS hours in just my first year of IB1...

That's rubbish... I'm taking my exams in 2010. The CAS system has to changed to focus on quality more than quantity... that's all...

and btw... I wouldn't really care if they increased it by whatever. I have 1500 hours.

...1500 hours? Wow :P I can't even begin to fathom how many activities you must be involved in. In comparison I'm having a difficult time planning what I'll do for the minimum of 150 hours my school enforces...haha

My coordinator said that you can count your hours for different catagories. For example, if you volunteer to teach little kids dance, thats action and service, and if you do fifty hours of that, you only need to do fifty more hours of creativity. Its our first year as an IB school, so I don't know if she knows what shes talking about. Is that true?