How many CAS hours does your school enforce?

I don't think that's how it works. I think the hours can only go to one section of CAS. That was definitely was it was our school at least. Not a 100% sure on that though. I know I asked at my school and she said no, but maybe our school just wanted us to do more variety of things.

My coordinator said that you can count your hours for different catagories. For example, if you volunteer to teach little kids dance, thats action and service, and if you do fifty hours of that, you only need to do fifty more hours of creativity. Its our first year as an IB school, so I don't know if she knows what shes talking about. Is that true?

I agree with Dark Matter. We're not allowed to count the same hours twice. You can do 50 hours of an activity and count 25 in each category.

Well actually, for us, you can't have more than 20 hours in any one category from the same activity. But you can do 60 hours of one activity and count 20 as C, 20 as A, and 20 as S, provided they fit in those categories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, apparently my school doesnt follow the set guidelines either because our rules are we have to have 50 hours( of any kind) by the end of our second year of high school and another 50 by the end of our fourth year. I'm not sure f thats good or bad...

There are four years in high school and two years in IB, right? I'm not understanding how you're to complete 50 hours by your 2nd year, assuming you start IB your third year. And I don't see why the deadline to finish the next 50 hours would be at the end of IB because you have to do a total of 150 hours, so am I missing something? Can you explain more clearly please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah! Some of the other schools do seem really harsh. I'm glad I don't go there (I dislike CAS, I enjoy the activities, I just dislike the concept)

My school is just 150 hours, 50 for each. And I don't think there is a cap to the hours, because my friend did like, 50 hours for one activity, and was allowed to claim it. However, she had to do another activity as we aren't allowed to claim just one activity for the components.

• 3 weeks later...

You fellas possess luck..

In my school, it is pretty much "obligatory" to deal at least one hour/week with each CAS part...

Whether you do 3 hours of service doesn't matter, one would still need to do service for the next two weeks

Quite a lousy system, I would be more satisfied with the 50-50-50 system.

I am in good school. We don't have hours requirements, but we have to complete a number of activities and meet all the learning outcomes. Our CAS coordinator tells us how much more CAS we should be doing.

I don't get it. What do you mean by saying "I am in good school", we all are!

IBO is the one saying that we should have 50.50.50. Just because you have no idea how many hours you have done and you have your IB Coordinator counting them for you, doesn't mean that our schools are bad!

For God's sake!

Edited by Watermelon

I am in good school. We don't have hours requirements, but we have to complete a number of activities and meet all the learning outcomes. Our CAS coordinator tells us how much more CAS we should be doing.

I don't get it. What do you mean by saying "I am in good school", we all are!

IBO is the one saying that we should have 50.50.50. Just because you have no idea how many hours you have done and you have your IB Coordinator counting them for you, doesn't mean that our schools are bad!

For God's sake!

Aww it's okay. I don't think the person meant it like that.

He/she was probably just following the trend where everyone was talking about their schools and whether or not they thought the system was "harsh" or whatever.

It's okay haha :P

• 4 weeks later...

Our CAS coordinator said that according to the new IB guide we have to do 150 hours (or was it 180?) and there's no certain criteria for how many hours you spend on each (C,A and S). That's actually quite comfortable for me but how weird is that? Can anyone comment on it?

• 3 weeks later...