How many CAS hours does your school enforce?

Hmm, in my school, you have to have a minimum of 40 hours of Creativity, a minimum of 40 hours of Action and a minimum of 40 hours of Service, but everything have to add up into a total of minimum of 150 hours of CAS. Eventually I did around 200 hours, and it wasn't that hard, to be honest. Just document your hobbies as CAS (if it counts). If I document all of my activity I can go well over 1,000 hours - but the amount of paperwork (reflection essays, log sheets, etc) is too much so I didn't document those. Most of my CAS hours are in Creativity because one of my activity is learning a new Language, which I do three times a week, 1.5 hours each. As long as you document what you did in the lessons (at least my school told me to fill in what I studied in every lesson in the CAS Log Sheet), you can get pretty much 468 hours of Creativity in the two years of doing IB just from learning a new language. Just enjoy your CAS activities. =]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my school wants 150 CAS hours along with cultural activities, meaning going on trips around the world or joining multicultural clubs. Also, part of CAS we need to have an extended project that we have to dedicate 6 months of IB to... like wow my project is rehabilitating a torn apart school in the Philippines. So much time put into CAS, rather than studying...

• 1 month later...

Yea, our school follows IB's set 150hours, but we have no rule about 50 hours for C, A and S. And also, if we don't complete a total of 150hours, but satisfy the fact that we do two major committments for C, A and S, and have a major project, plus make sure they all satisfy each of the 8 learning outcomes twice, update our journals frequently, we can pass. but 150hours is easy to do, when you have to satisfy all those regulations. a major project would swallow like 100hours.

At our school, it's technically 150hrs with 50 in each but I never really have a problem with the hours themselves. We have to be doing something for every quarter during the year and provide new evidence and reflection, even if we have met the hours and learning outcomes, which I find annoying. I guess it's to prevent people from procrastinating but for the few of us that actually stay on track and are up to date on all of our work, it really is just an unnecessary addition to our workload.

I could have sworn I'd already responded to this, but I will anyway.

At our school, technically only 150 hours of actual CAS are enforced. The catch is, CAS can only be counted for 2 credits (one for Phys. Ed., one for Fine Arts) if only 150 hours are done; the requirements for provincial graduation are 2 Phys. Ed. credits and 2 Fine Arts credits. An additional 50 hours of Action, and an additional 50 hours of Creativity will give you the credits required to graduate. So, how it works is that there is an official requirement of 150 CAS hours, but a de facto requirement of 250 hours for students who don't take music and who want to graduate high school (IE, everyone).

• 3 months later...

My school no longer enforces hours as much as just meeting the outcomes, however our coordinator for cas begins to question how you met x outcomes if you have so few hours so basically they indirectly enforce around 140+ because anything lower starts to raise suspicion about how you had time to do the outcomes =/

• 3 weeks later...