How many CAS hours does your school enforce?

• 1 month later...

My school doesn't bother counting...

I was told the new IB didn't care about hours. We would automatically get our 150 hours as long as we did 3-4 hours of a CAS activity every week.

This is what my school does. They spun something about it not being about the amount of hours, but rather what we gain from the activities and how they build us as people :P

So the 150 is used as a guide in my school but our CAS coordinator advises 2-3 activities per category.

We have to do the minimum requirement :D 50-50-50 so in total 150 hours :D

thank god im done, but i ended up getting between 300 - 350 hours, handed all my CAS stuff in a while ago so i dont really remember the actual amount of hours i did o.O

But we HAVE to do a 25 hour project as a year group for IB which consists of all the three elements of CAS. That was actually really fun! we ended up fixing up a rural school.

Creativity: painted a new classroom for the little kindergardeners (on the inside and outside of the little building) including doing an amazing mural on the inside. Made a library. Painted every single chalkboard in the school so it looked brand new.

Action: We planted a vegetable garden, a maize field (the digging was terrible!)and filled their reservoir. Played soccer and cricket with the grade kids.

Service: threw a little party for the kindergardeners:)

• 1 month later...

150 hrs with 25 hr cap, 50-50-50.

We got a new CAS mentor who seems a bit confused though... for example, dance only counts as creativity if you choreograph your own dance. Going by the same logic, you'd need to create your own piece if you were to count music as CAS. >.<

Edit: I think schools have different regulations based on how strict they are in terms of monitoring activities. A not-so-strict school would need students to complete more hours than necessary in case some activities are rejected while a strict school would have no problems with just the 150.

Local education requirements also have to be fulfilled so that may change things further (i.e. compulsory community service hours, fitness hours?)

Really getting quite worried about CAS, as my school has told us it is 80 hours in total, everything counts.in fact it is a bit of a joke. Do schools get inspected or challenged on this? I don't want to fail my IB because my school couldn't be bothered!

Edited by edithsdotir

Do schools get inspected or challenged on this? I don't want to fail my IB because my school couldn't be bothered!

CAS is only moderated, but not graded. so your CAS forms (actually only a number from your class/batch) will be sent to some moderators to check and look through. I'm not exactly sure how they determine whether you pass but as long as you complete the requirements (which I'm not sure what they are) you shouldn't be worried.

We only have to do 150 hours, There's not a set amount for each, but you're not allowed to have like 100 service hours, 45 action hours, and 5 creativity hours lol. You have to spread it out and make it somewhat balanced. We're also advised to have at least one major project or long-term activity. But the school actually encourages doing a lot more as it looks good for universities and stuff. I record everything I do. I do a ton of service and action (creativity not so much but I do enough :P) and have over 500 hours from just those two alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Our school is really slack on CAS, which isn't even needed because pretty much EVERYONE is involved in something and we have pretty much something to do after school everyday... We need a minimum of 150 hours but if we're kind of close, I think it's fine. It's not 50 hours per category, either. All 150 hours can go in one category. About 270 hours of mine are in creativity and like not even 10 hours in the other categories, haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Our school is satisfied with the usual 50+50+50, but they are very picky at accepting something as CAS :<

For example, only 10 hours from each area can be done without supervisor, and the remaining 40 must be done with some kind of instrustor (obviously not our relative or acquaintance) that will verify our efforts. That means almost all of the things I planned for CAS (painting, running, and so on) went to hell :dontgetit:

• 1 month later...

As far as our school is aware, the IBO scrapped the idea of hours this year and now it's just expected that you participate in each area for a prolonged period of time (without a prescribed number or hours).

But on the IBO webstie it says:

"Students are expected to be involved in CAS activities for the equivalent of at least three hours each week during the two years of the programme."

So im not sure how it's 'supposed' to work...