Difference: Literature and Language and Literature?

Short intro: 10th grader, planning on doing HL: Math, Physics, English A Course ; SL: German A LangLit, Economics, Chemistry

My question: What exactly is the difference between the 'Literature' and the 'Language and Literature' courses? (Especially in English A).

I understood that the 'Literature' course is very literature focused (and analysing, etc.) but then what exactly do you do in the language and literature course? I looked at the each syllabus but still did not quite understand what exactly the difference is...

Thanks for replies :)

Language and literature is similar to how the old A2 language courses were ran (prior to the 2013 exam session). You read some books/texts, but it's not as literature intensive. I think you have some other assignment or different thing you have to do as far as written assignments go. It's kind of an easier version of the literature course in my opinion. However, I'm not positive because this course didn't exist when I was doing IB. This thread might clear some things up: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/18405-a-literature-literature-and-language-an-explanation/

• Like 1

The main difference is that the Lang&Lit course doesnt only literature as in books, poems, etc. It makes you analyse non-literary texts (such as ads) and makes you study language and how it works according to its context. Sometimes it is not the "easy verison of literature", since it makes you do different stuff. Some of the IAs include writing creative pieces of work.

in Literature you read a lot of Shakespeare and other famous literature

In Language and literature you also read literature but you also get to explore other things like media

I think Lang Lit is more useful.

Not necessarily. You have to consider what you want to study later on at the university level. If it's something like literature or something with close ties to literature you should pick that, language and lit isn't your best option (unless it's the only thing your school offers). If it's not anything like that you can get away with language and lit if you don't want to do just literature or you can just do literature if you want to.

Edited by Emmi

in Literature you read a lot of Shakespeare and other famous literature

In Language and literature you also read literature but you also get to explore other things like media

I think Lang Lit is more useful.

Not necessarily. You have to consider what you want to study later on at the university level. If it's something like literature or something with close ties to literature you should pick that, language and lit isn't your best option (unless it's the only thing your school offers). If it's not anything like that you can get away with language and lit if you don't want to do just literature or you can just do literature if you want to.

Arguably, Lang & Lit could be more useful for carreers like journalism or anthropology. If you like reading serious literature and go deep into it as the only thing you want to do in the course (although the approaches vary, I think it is a pretty fun course as well [i take both Lit and Lang&Lit]), then Literature is perfect. Language and Literature gives you more space to interprete stuff you see in the everyday life. Some people say it's easier, but I just think they are different courses.

I also think that Lang and lit would be more useful for non-career life. Of course if you want to go into literature or similar, or have a passion for it and would read and analyse literature in your spare time.

The reason I say this is that most people will encounter journalism (e.g. newspaper articles and opinion pieces), ads, instructional texts, etc. in their daily life. Having the ability to think about how language is used in these contexts, I feel would be more useful than just knowing how to analyze literature (although the skills carry across). Also it does deal with literature for half the course so you gain experience in that area.

As to whether it is an easier course, without too much experience with literature, I feel it would be slightly easier. Because you cover more breadth and therefore I would argue need more skills, the level and depth of the course is much lesser, making it easier. However if your better at literature than that would be your easier option.

• 1 year later...