IA TOPIC MATH SL 2013-2014

John Clear

as you all might know, the Internal Assessment (IA) for SL Math has changed this year because of the new curriculum. Now we have to find a topic ourselves, and investigate it [ t(-_-t) to IB ]. But I am stuck with no topic right now and im in desperate need for some suggestions.

some suggestions my teacher made were trying to investigate things with relationships. Like maybe traffic vs. construction or reaction time vs. time of day. but these have already been taken.

So i desperately need suggestions for some topics. please help. )':

Edited by John Clear

The exploration topic can be on anything but it obviously has to include math... Try doing it on something you're interested in

Its easier in a way than the portfolios but also hard because you don't know if you're going on the right path or not...

The thing about comparing two sets of data is that you have to have enough data to actually complete the exploration and also the data should be reliable..

What math topic are you going to focus on ? Statistics ?

This website has a lot of exploration topics you can choose from : http://ibmathsresources.com/2013/09/03/maths-ia-exploration-topics/

Some other topics :

Level of education vs. Gender

Internet usage compared in... (?)

Amount of sleep in certain age groups (?)

I would advise you not to collect the data yourself because it will take forever and also the IB highly advise against it.

• 3 months later...

I completely went off from the Maths segment and started off with anything that interested me about the world.

I've just been introduced to it and I was thinking of the Bubblegum alley :P

There's this alley in California and people stick gum on the walls everyday every year.

It's a popular tourist attraction and I plan to find how long it would take to cover the entire alley.

So I could calculate the volume, get some statistics, find the rate of change in the growing volume or something of that sort.

I guess I'll be using calculus?

It sounds simplistic and my peers tell me it's sorta repulsive. But hey, it's something I like and it interests me.

I could get some personal engagement scores from it too :P Also bear in mind, the target audience is your peers so write something that may be interesting. Even though mine said it was revolting they said they'd definitely have a read!