What have you been learning in TOK?

Kristen

Im about half way through my first year in the IB and not sure about what it is that we are meant to be learning in TOK. We've done a bit on empirical testing, metaphors, symbollism, generalisations and topics like that. We've also looked at 'The Matrix' and sence perception. Is this the same type of thing that everyone else is learning. I guess im just not sure because I've never taken a class like this before and im not sure what to expect.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks a million

nah thats the same type of stuff that we've been learning in class. i wouldnt worry about it. if you are worried though have a chat to your teacher or look up the TOK syllabus.

Also i dont think TOK has a set syllabus like biology or maths. Its a more general outline about what your meant to be learning, and the way you do that is up to your teachers.

have fun and good luck.

Tok is awsome!!

-soph x

In my school its basically the lectures theygive which are inmportant. We have mass lectures where teachers talk about Reason, Emotion, Language, etc. So we have to take notes for our Tok essays later on. In classroom lessons we don't do much, there isn't much freedom and expression is rather subdued, so our leaning is just lecture style..

• 1 month later...

What have I been learning in TOK???

TRUTH DOES NOT EXIST. QUESTION EVERYTHING. NOTHING IS OBJECTIVE EXCEPT 1+1=2, unless 3 means 2.

EMOTIONS PLAY A VERY IMPORTANT ROLE IN EVERYTHING YOU DO.

Finally: OUR WORLD IS MESSED UP, GO FIX THEM.

SLEEP TIME... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;):)

What have I been learning in TOK???

TRUTH DOES NOT EXIST. QUESTION EVERYTHING. NOTHING IS OBJECTIVE EXCEPT 1+1=2, unless 3 means 2.

EMOTIONS PLAY A VERY IMPORTANT ROLE IN EVERYTHING YOU DO.

Finally: OUR WORLD IS MESSED UP, GO FIX THEM.

SLEEP TIME... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :sleep::sleep:

TOK = talk

what I learned in TOK is just to talk something out of your butt that would sound intelligent, even though it doesnt make sense.

Keep that in mind. peace out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ToK is fun stuff. I'm almost at the end of ToK and reading everything that you guys have been doing brings back memories.

The fallacious reasoning lesson was awesome because we had to give examples of how commercials used fallacious reasoning (for example: buy our product and you'll experience the effects almost instantly!).

Philosopher day was cool because we had to dress up and present about our theories. Immanuel Kant is a funny guy...

Oh yeah, the reason why everyone does the same thing is because we're part of an experiment and the things that IB assigns us to is the independent variable. The results that we come up with are then given to the IB.

i am also going through the first half of IB first year, and all i have learnt in ToK classes is how people have different perceptions and perspectives..

yes,, we're still talking about the very first chapter.. i don't know if we'll be able to finish the entire book in two years.. this's so sad.. :)

I'm on IB1 now, and we haven't really had any other specific subjects, except studying sciences, how they get information etc..

Mostly it's just applying critical thinking into various issues our honored teacher has happened to stumble upon.

• 3 weeks later...

i love my tok class, besides the fact that i have to take it during the night-time!

anyways, since i was in tok, i've learned alot about rhetoric and being able to back myself up more effectively.

i define my terms, and i am more convincing when i'm in an argument or discussion.

my examples are better and in general, i actually know what i'm talking about.

i also just really saw alot of philosophy in that class, which i really enjoy.

you discuss whether you really know that you know things.

it's interesting. =]

• 2 weeks later...

I think the most important thing for TOK is to just let yourself go along with the class discussions. If you get caught up in how boring or pointless it is (and believe me there are discussions that are absolutely endless) then you won't get as much from it. If you have a difficult teacher then make sure to get some sort of supplement to the class, like the TOK books.

I don't know if TOK really has a point, it seems more like an endless challenge (why do you think about some things certain ways and other things other ways). At least from my experience you're trying to explain your thoughts and reasoning.

It sounds so weird but if you just let the discussion flow for a while then you'll get into it. Just don't forget that you have to speak up, you need to talk or you can't pass.

Good Luck!!!