Physics HL vs Chemistry HL

Hey there,

I just simply wanted to ask you, if you could give me some feedback :)

So, I plan on doing Physics HL and Chemistry SL next year. I am kind of noncommittal whether to take Physics or Chemistry HL. I actually dont know why I tend to Physics.

Could you maybe just give me your opinion (stating if, and how you stand in relation with these subjects) on the amount of work, the "easiness" of getting a 7.

P.S.: I know that Physics HL is supposed to be more difficult.

I dont know what I want to study at University (but definitely something science-,math- or economics/business related)

I see that your exams are in may 2016 which means you haven't started IB yet, but as i have understood when it comes to sciences you do a core the first year, and you won't choose the level before your second year of IB. So in your case you should check out what subject you like the best or need the most and then choose which subject you want to take in higher level :) Correct me if i'm wrong, it may also depend from school to school.

I see that your exams are in may 2016 which means you haven't started IB yet, but as i have understood when it comes to sciences you do a core the first year, and you won't choose the level before your second year of IB. So in your case you should check out what subject you like the best or need the most and then choose which subject you want to take in higher level :) Correct me if i'm wrong, it may also depend from school to school.

Yeah :) it is exactly like that at my school... thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have friends who took Physics HL, and they thought it was very hard. As for me, Chemistry HL was not too bad - at least the material's not hard, it's just you have to study more topics, and study some of the topics to a greater depth than Chem SL. However, I do also know people who thought Physics HL was easy and did pretty well. I'd say it's up to you. What you feel your ability is in each of the subjects, and whether or not you need it in uni. Also, it's best if you don't need it for uni, you only pick the subject which you enjoy - that way the whole IB experience is much more enjoyable and you'll probably perform better :)

I did HL physics and SL chemistry and I thought it was a good combination. Both subjects complemented each other really well. If you prefer maths and calculus I think you would do better with HL physics. I prefer physics also because with physics you learn a few laws, relationships, rules etc. and apply them to lots of situations, whereas with chemistry you need to be able to know specific details about individual molecules, functional groups etc. While there are of course many general rules in chemistry you also need to be able to learn some quite specific reactions, molecules etc. Depends what and how you prefer learning.

I am currently taking them both as HL... then I'd have 4 HLs (Math,Chem,Econ,Physics). I know that 4 HLs in general is really difficult, and especially math HL, chemistry HL, Physics HL.

But if it's too difficult/ too much work , then I can still drop one of those 4 HLs to SL. If that happens, i will probably drop the course that I am doing 'the worst' in. But if avoidable, I'd like to keep math HL and I think Econ HL is going to be quite easy for me. So if I'm going to drop something, I'll probably drop either Physics HL or Chemistry to SL.

Edited by dvirchow