IA: topic opinion

edumc10

possible. This would have links to statistics. You might have to make use of the chi squared test though. A topic which probably isn't in your syllabus...

This isn't a problem - material outside of the syllabus can be used as long as it's at the same level of your level of mathematics (SL in this person's case) or above... I don't know if the chi squared test is good enough since it's taught in Studies and all you do is essentially plug in numbers into an equation, but if he/she has other math as well as this statistical test, they should be alright...

However, isn't the pearson correlation test more appropriate in his/her situation?

I really don't want to discourage you, but i was about to start my IA with a similar topic. I was stopped by my principal (who happens to be a Math teacher) that said i doesn't match the level of a Higher level math student, not even a standard level math.

I don't know about much about this topic, but it "looks" similar to mine before i started.

Since you convey the message that you are interested in sports through your topic, i suggest to do a math IA about projectile motion, and through personal engagement link it to your favorite sport.

The topic doesn't need to be extremely sophisticated and complex, it is up to you to make the topic rich in math or not.

If you need any help, message me at any time.

Best of Luck,

-Fiz

Edited by Fiz

possible. This would have links to statistics. You might have to make use of the chi squared test though. A topic which probably isn't in your syllabus...

This isn't a problem - material outside of the syllabus can be used as long as it's at the same level of your level of mathematics (SL in this person's case) or above... I don't know if the chi squared test is good enough since it's taught in Studies and all you do is essentially plug in numbers into an equation, but if he/she has other math as well as this statistical test, they should be alright...

However, isn't the pearson correlation test more appropriate in his/her situation?

I have no idea what the pearson correlation test is :D Ya, agreed. It does seem too easy to just plug in the numbers. A discussion with your teacher is the best way to go as to whether the topic seems good enough.

Instead of an statistical analysis, a simple model could prove to be easier in that case. I'm afraid that trying to go all statistics mode can actually prove to be counterproductive, you might start mixing up some Biology or Physics stuff in a Math IA.

Or even though, you could try doing some interesting stuff such as checking which is the optimal angle to shoot a football, say, from the middle of the field using calculus and then comparing your result to the Physics equations... I'm not so sure about that as i really doubt that the player would crunch up those numbers to find a perfect shooting angle. The topic should be relevant to real life issues and if most preferable, be applied to reality. A modelling approach can be useful (compare it to other models that display that behavior and explain WHY could that happen).

Heey, not a bad one! :) To make it sound better, as the IB loooooves "to what extent" questions, you could make it like this:

To what extent does the age of a player affect the number of goals scored during a game?

Otherwise, you're going to have to do quite a bit of research/experiments for it, but if you can link math topics such as statistics or probability to it, it'll be a great and original one!

Good luck :D