What does the World think about Australia?

Hey everyone!

So i was inspired to start this topic when i say the post "what does the world think about America?" and it made me think... well i have a pretty clear idea about the world view of America... but I'm not to sure about what people think of my own country? And what a better place to find out than by asking a group of internationally aware, up and coming group of young people from around the world.

So here is my question- How does the world (or you personaly) view Australia?

Just leave you thogughts as well as what counrty you're from.

-Thanks a million.

-Soph x

I think Australia is gorgeous (been there once)..but the accent is a bit hard to understand at times haha.

However, I have relatives that live in Australia and being of Asian descent, I know they feel like outsiders sometimes even though they've lived there over 20 years. Not sure if this is just an isolated incident, when I went there I was too young to even understand what racism really was so I wouldn't have noticed it anyways.

Oh yeah, and it's funny how their seasons are switched haha :( , I couldn't imagine having Christmas in 40 degree weather instead of snow!

Wow, you guys have better view of Australia than I do and I am Australian.

I'd say that people in general have a very 'romantic' view of Australia, as tourists we don't see the negative aspects. (I don't know what they are, but every country has some!) But having been in Australia once (NSW), I can say I loved the country and I also like the culture. People are so much less hypocritical than some Americans (trying to avoid a generalization here). Obviously the nature is pretty too, and the wildlife is amazing.

I would start a thread asking "What does the world think about Finland", but I'd either get 0 replies or people asking where Finland is and do we have igloos, so I'll pass. :)

Yeah you are right, you guy would know much about the politics of Australia, because in reality we don't matter, despite what some people may think. I just have a few problems with the ignorance of many Australians about the suffering some people experience, eg. there are quite a few Sudanese refugee in Australia, a small number of them created a little bit of trouble, and people wanted them to be sent back to Sudan, effectively to their deaths, but they don't realise that they should think about how difficult life has been for the Sudanese. Because of this ignorance the government reduce the number of African immigrants, which is in it most elemental characteristics a racist policy.

Anyway, the only things I know about finland is that you can see the northern lights in the north of finland (lapland?), finnish is a very difficult language to learn, and the capital is Helsinki... yep that is about it. That is kind of shameful for me really I should know more.

Edited by Bandev

I've never been there but want to one day. I think of Australia as a warm summer place with beaches and outdoor things to do.As for Aussies, I thinkof them as friendly people :)

Yeah, basically the same thought that I have of Australia. My friend told me Aussies also have free post-secondary education - is this true? I'd love to travel to Australia some day, and New Zealand of course. :)

I would start a thread asking "What does the world think about Finland", but I'd either get 0 replies or people asking where Finland is and do we have igloos, so I'll pass. :)

Finland, country in Scandinavia, speaks Finnish, capital Helsinki, and meant to have some of the best looking women in the world. Cold most times of year, and made more famous with Lapland being a home for Santa.

Back to topic, Australia. Most tourists' opinions are that Australia is THE place to immigrate to because of the warm weather. I was in Australia recently, and to be honest it didn't impress me much. Melbourne has a tiny city centre, and a fairly large suburb. It didn't help that Victoria was going through a dry spell, so everything looked gloomy and sort of surreal. Nevertheless, a nice place to visit, and probably a great place to study. Fairly good transport too.

Canberra is the dullest 'city' ever! Nothing much to say about this one.

West Sydney seemed like a carbon copy of East London sans the people. Rundown areas and not generally nice. East Sydney however was really nice and pretty, and so was Bondi Beach. The city centre is great, and the best thing is that they have Krispy Kreme!

The Australians have a great attitude to life and that would be something that attracts me to there. Generally a pretty nice place.

Finland, country in Scandinavia, speaks Finnish, capital Helsinki, and meant to have some of the best looking women in the world. Cold most times of year, and made more famous with Lapland being a home for Santa.

Actually we're a bilingual country, we speak Finnish but have a relatively large Swedish-speaking minority (all the rich people are Swedish-speaking :) ). Oh, and unfortunately the good looking women are in Sweden, and I'm not kidding you. Swedish girls are just WOAH :) . I'd also go back to the topic but I have nothing to say, so excuse me for straying off-topic :P .

Actually we're a bilingual country, we speak Finnish but have a relatively large Swedish-speaking minority (all the rich people are Swedish-speaking :) ). Oh, and unfortunately the good looking women are in Sweden, and I'm not kidding you. Swedish girls are just WOAH :) . I'd also go back to the topic but I have nothing to say, so excuse me for straying off-topic :P .

:P Sweden's just moved up on countries to visit list.

Australians, particularly Australian women, have the greatest accent. ^^

I'm not quite sure about the accent. I don't mind it on a guy, but the Aussie accent, and the NZ accent as well, on a woman drives me up the wall. Sorry for the sexism!

Am I the only one who thinks this thread is hilarious???? lol

As for the Australian accent...I've got used to it by now...I wouldn't be surprised if I spoke with it now. Apparently I do, says my friends and teachers when I go back home and visit school (says Elsa as well when we were on voice-chat). But I don't notice it.

well you are there a lot so you prolly do. i pick up accents right away. i am starting to pick up little twang in voice, so i am concentrayting on losing it coz i don't like it. i want my coast accent back.

it is a funny thread. it is a nice one in comarison to the US one. people had much stronger opinios about the US, and here every one like like prettyand kangaroos.