What does the World think about Australia?

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, basically the same thought that I have of Australia. My friend told me Aussies also have free post-secondary education - is this true? I'd love to travel to Australia some day, and New Zealand of course. :)

No that is dead wrong, especially for international students. I have a friend who is paying $AUD50000 per annum for her medicine course. So no, no, definitely not.

Someone mention the Earth Hour, well sorry to burst you bubble but the Earth hour in Sydney the first one was kind of a failure, but the media added a lot of spin and made it out to be a sucess.

I have said so many negative things in this thread, I actually love Australia, I just know it faults better than most on this forum.

Edited by Bandev

I would start a thread asking "What does the world think about Finland", but I'd either get 0 replies or people asking where Finland is and do we have igloos, so I'll pass. :)

haha i was totally going to do the same about sweden, but the only reply i would get is like swedes are blond :)

so maybe we should start a thread about europe in general, what do people outside europe think about the different countries etc...

I seriously do not know much about australia, basically i have the vacation kind of look on australia.

Seems to me as a big country with cities around the coust and almost abandoned inland.

I have an australian guy in my class, and i remember when he first came her and stuff, he wasn't

used to a lot of stuff that we were totally oke with, but i don't really know how it is down there.

and the seasoning is all wrong :) very cool indeed, i wanna live there for a while in the future maybe.

Hey everyone!

So i was inspired to start this topic when i say the post "what does the world think about America?" and it made me think... well i have a pretty clear idea about the world view of America... but I'm not to sure about what people think of my own country? And what a better place to find out than by asking a group of internationally aware, up and coming group of young people from around the world.

So here is my question- How does the world (or you personaly) view Australia?

Just leave you thogughts as well as what counrty you're from.

-Thanks a million.

-Soph x

i think Australia is a wonderful country and australians are wonderful people. I have some Australian friends who i think are really wonderrful people :) )

australian is such a beautiful place. i have lived here all of my life and i can still appreciate the beauty of it all. the sound of the kookaburra and the smell of golden wattle..so sweet. i travel a lot and it doesn't matter which amazing place i travel to i always miss australia. just the fact that i can go on a picnic and have a emu stand on my picnic rug (very scary the first time might i add!) and that i have koala's living in my backyard. i love feeling so close to nature and living in an area which has hardly been touched by evolving humanity. i live in outback australia btw!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have to say that having just come back from 4.5 months in Europe, I realise that we do have a lot that I don't give credit, eg proper beaches with actual waves. Melbourne in particular has amazing weather but I always new that. The natural resources that we have are a godsend for the economy, eg gold, diamond, opal, uranium, aluminium, natural gas etc. But then again other places like Andulucia have thing plus the added beauty of history that is interlaced into the everyday. That isn't to say we don't have a history we just don't know about it. It would beautiful if we were taught more about it in school.

On the Australian accent, it is ugly. That is the truth and don't try to fool yourself otherwise.

In response to the whole Canberra thing; yeah ok its boooring as hell but its still my fav place in the world!

Yeah ok i live there but still

It's soooo green, compared to most other cities i've been to, the bush is just round the corner from my place and you never run out of trees. Thats what I love about Australia there's so much natural beauty everywhere, its so easy to escape the city.,

Unlike Europe, i spent a year there last year and missed my trees and grass and animals sooooooo much; it was depressing.

Im glad people like Australia, even though I love to travel I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

I think that many people used to think that the only people living in Australia were descendents of felons who did not want to get hung and opted to go to Australia or New Zealand but now it is a country where whenever some one envisions Australia they think of Tazmanian devils, kangaroos and Crocadile Dundee

• 2 weeks later...

Australia, is a beautiful place

i live on the coast, so i have like awesome beaches and stuff.

and i love it

whilst i havent been many other places in the world.

i've seen alot of Australia.

and its pretty amazing..

and as for the kangaroo's..

they're just animals...its not like you keep them as pets..

they just jump around and stuff, you can't touch them or anything

and they poo all over our oval at school...

real nice at football training. ;)

but i guess that every country has its little quirks that make it amazing.

and australia has alot of them :P

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be offended, but growing up there was always the "kangaroo" stereotype. A lot of kids thought that the only good thing that Australians had to offer was kangaroos. Now, I know that Australia is a great place (and Sydney is a very nice tourist site) and the whole kangaroo thing just made me like it, but at the same time think of it negatively. Overall, I haven't really gone to Australia, so I can't say too much about it. I'd like to go there, anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in Australia for nearly 13 years... I live in the subtropics and I can't say I enjoy the weather (largely humidity and lack of seasons). Surfer's Paradise is nice, haven't been to Melbourne (would like to go there before I leave), don't care for Sydney, Brisbane has bad memories... I'd like to own a holiday home in Byron Bay, complete with recording studio. Aside from going to Tasmania for the countryside if I find a reason to go there, I have no real need to see elsewhere. Australia's best features are Tim Tams, the great Australian 'fair go' and the beaches around the QLD-NSW border.

Actually we're a bilingual country, we speak Finnish but have a relatively large Swedish-speaking minority (all the rich people are Swedish-speaking ;) ). Oh, and unfortunately the good looking women are in Sweden, and I'm not kidding you. Swedish girls are just WOAH :D . I'd also go back to the topic but I have nothing to say, so excuse me for straying off-topic :D .

Oi I feel insulted :( I seem to be the only Finnish girl on IBS, surrounded by a bunch of guys. You're not seriously suggesting that blonde, permatanned Swedish girls are better looking than Finnish ones? They're all blonde, no variety. My two Finnish friends went to get fake tans, and had to spend the next week walking around Helsinki being called Swedes. And the Swedish-speaking minority are snobby in a sense, they live in certain cities in Finland and marry mostly other Swedish-speakers. (To all the Swedes out there, I don't think the rivalry between our countries will ever end :) )

About Australia, I used to have lots of Australian teachers and they were always really laid back. Unfortunately, the only Australian teacher in my school now is a complete bastard. He's too strict about IB rules and CAS, and won't let students take an extra Language B outside of school. We could have so many people with an extra IB certificate, but he has to "go by the rules". He hasn't changed my idea of Australians though. Love their accent and easy-goingness.

I'm a tennis fan, so I always watch the Australian Open. Would love to go watch it live sometime. My sister watches McLeod's Daughters, which is sort of sappy but they have great landscapes.

And I also have to go visit the Great Barrier Reef before it gets completely wiped out. My classmates went on a school trip to Perth a few years ago, they learned to surf there.

So apart from those coincidental shark attacks, there seems to be lots of reasons to go to Australia.

Edited by Vvi

I wanted to go to Australia since I was a kid, I believe your country is a mix of culture, nature and innovation. However, if I were to tell you the first things that come to my mind when they say "Australia" is:

- Super hot ozzies!!!!! :D

- Surf and beautiful beaches

- The Grand Coral Reef

- Kangaroos and dingos!!!!!

- Boomerangs and adventure lol

It depends on what way you look at it. I mean:

On the map: cool shape, pretty huge

Nature: I love the nature over there, snakes and deserts, and a lot of other things.

The flag: The stars are ok, but the red stars of NZ are cooler.

Historically: Pretty much disgusting because of the stolen generation which we have been working on in my class

Location: a bit isolated, but that is also good because it lets weird creatures develop in their own way.

Cricket: they are at least able to beat England .. hehe

Rugby: I could wish they could do the haka like the maoris in NZ cause that makes me laugh until I almost die.

and so on...

• 2 weeks later...

Australia DOES have free post-secondary education. If you are PR or citizen. Of course International Students pay, becuase they are from oversea, duh. >>;

Anyways. It's a fantastic place to me. Though it does get too hot sometimes. At least it's not humid when it's hot, which would make you feel sticky and ewww. People are pretty nice and have a laidback friendly attitude. Love to that. <3 Aussies all think it's a hole though. Which it is. Trends and technology reach Aussie much much later.

I lived in Sydney for 5~6 years and venture North, East and bit of South Sydney. Not familiar with Inner West though. East Sydney is nice because it's tiny is all beached, and not to mention the most expensive real estate in Australia..XD

Canberra IS the most boring capital ever. Though it looks awesome as a planned city, I would never want to go there. Despite the best university being there. Melbourne is great too, with better transport system and bit more organised than Sydney. Whoever said Melb has a tiny city, Sydney does too! It's like. only 3 streets! It's pretty laughable. Besides these 3 cities, the others I've only been to as a tourist so can't say much.

I think Australia is fantastic for kids to get their education (universities is arguable), and to retire. Not so good if you are looking to advance your career a lot or make lots of money due to its remote location, small population, and heavy tax. The plus is the government benefits is pretty good =)

I don't follow politics so I'm clueless about it, but it use to follow USA a lot, and got criticised a lot...XDD

EDIT: oh. and the "having kangaroos in our backyard" or "riding kangaroos to school" stereotype/funny assumption is just hilarious. Doesn't get any better than that.

Edited by Skibblu