Does anybody else read fanfiction?

Arrowhead

So I was wondering this? I used to read a lot of Harry Potter fanfiction when I was in the IB (that was a while ago) and it was always a guilty pleasure of sorts. Once, one of my friends caught me reading it in Maths class and she flipped out because she read an excessive amount of fanfiction too. We later found out that 5/8 people on our lunch table used to read fanfiction in their spare time. I sort of reduced this as university became intense, but I've continued to read the occasional story every now and again.

So, anybody else out there?

Also, if you do read HP fanfiction in particular, any recommendations?

• Like 1

Argh, yes, I too have (had?) a habit of using fanfiction as a means of procrastination in the IB. I would usually avoid reading fanfiction whilst actually in class - my preferred method of in-class procrastination was reading blogs or playing computer games - but I have seen several of my friends surreptitiously reading fanfiction during classes. Perhaps it's a maths thing, but it was usually in maths classes that I saw people reading HPFF - although perhaps that fact is a bit concerning considering we were quite a small Maths HL class!

Funnily enough, I think I only read fanfiction as a means of procrastination. In the post-IB weeks, I've actually been reading far less than I was during all of the IB, though my reading was quite inconsistent during IB as I usually had other means of wasting time as well. And perhaps as a result of my use of fanfiction as mindless relaxation, I pretty much read fairly simplistic (perhaps even trashy?) stories. I'll usually read anything that has been completed (I hate having to wait to find a resolution; I like reading in one sitting), but aside from that, I am quite indiscriminate in my fanfiction consumption.

Argh, yes, I too have (had?) a habit of using fanfiction as a means of procrastination in the IB. I would usually avoid reading fanfiction whilst actually in class - my preferred method of in-class procrastination was reading blogs or playing computer games - but I have seen several of my friends surreptitiously reading fanfiction during classes. Perhaps it's a maths thing, but it was usually in maths classes that I saw people reading HPFF - although perhaps that fact is a bit concerning considering we were quite a small Maths HL class!

Funnily enough, I think I only read fanfiction as a means of procrastination. In the post-IB weeks, I've actually been reading far less than I was during all of the IB, though my reading was quite inconsistent during IB as I usually had other means of wasting time as well. And perhaps as a result of my use of fanfiction as mindless relaxation, I pretty much read fairly simplistic (perhaps even trashy?) stories. I'll usually read anything that has been completed (I hate having to wait to find a resolution; I like reading in one sitting), but aside from that, I am quite indiscriminate in my fanfiction consumption.

Haha, glad to know it wasn't just me.

Ooh, yes. That would be me. Sadly I am not a HP shipper, but I am in a variety of other fandoms.

Just out of perverse curiosity.... are you a drarry-ite?

Good God, no! I stay away from the really perverse and weird areas of HP fanfiction. That sh!t can get nasty and disturbing. It's horrifying what a 13 y/o girl's mind can conjure up.

I stick to more wholesome fanfiction. Right now, I'm halfway through a so-far 6-book series on Albus Severus Potter and his misadventures at Hogwarts. The first two books were good fluffy time-waters with decent plots, if a bit dry at times. It seems the author really came into his own in the third book though and I couldn't put that one down until I finished it. Like that, there are some really amazing stories out there.

Edited by Arrowhead

I haven't read any fan fiction recently, as it's kinda lost its appeal (most of it is complete crap), but I used to read a lot of HP and Gossip Girl fan fiction. I wrote even more myself, mostly Twilight and Gossip Girl, and a Polish tv show about lawyers (350+ episodes :D).

• Like 1

I'm not really a shipper, really, I'm more for the sense of fanfic as continuation of the original story. Case in point: I love the BBC series Sherlock, as I've been a fan of the original stories since I was a little kid. Some of my favourite stories there are just continuations of ACD canon set in modern day - the show itself is basically a televised piece of fanfiction anyway!

Arrowhead - can you link me to that Albus Severus Potter series you mentioned? That sounds fascinating and I'd love to read it!

I'm not really a shipper, really, I'm more for the sense of fanfic as continuation of the original story. Case in point: I love the BBC series Sherlock, as I've been a fan of the original stories since I was a little kid. Some of my favourite stories there are just continuations of ACD canon set in modern day - the show itself is basically a televised piece of fanfiction anyway!

Arrowhead - can you link me to that Albus Severus Potter series you mentioned? That sounds fascinating and I'd love to read it!

That's also how I looked at it when I went searching for fanfiction. But then time passed and my standards of fanfiction rose higher and higher.

Here's an online link to the first Albus Severus Potter book, here's a link to all 6 eBooks in Box, Dropbox and Google Drive.

That's also how I looked at it when I went searching for fanfiction. But then time passed and my standards of fanfiction rose higher and higher.

Here's an online link to the first Albus Severus Potter book, here's a link to all 6 eBooks in Box, Dropbox and Google Drive.

Ooh, many thanks. I know what I'm doing over winter break now!

I do. I read harry potter fanfiction quite a lot.. haha. I used to read it all the time in boring classes while half listening to whatever the teacher was going on about (let's say I'm not the best in-class student).. :D I only read hp fanfic from harrypotterfanfiction.com - I've just always preferred its layout/structure and everything over the more broad fanfiction.net. Also, I like the related harrypotterfanfiction.com forums much better too :P

I haven't read that much in the past couple months (obviously due to Nov exams) but for recommendations.. I usually read stories that have been written by friends of mine on the forums.. I really enjoyed Over The Edge by Artihmancy_Wiz as it's got a super unique pairing and plot. These writers have some brilliant stories: TenthWeasley, Violet Gryffindor, justonemorefic.. I also have really enjoyed a lot of the Dobby awarded and Top Ten Stories. If you're really as big of a HP nut as I am you could consider joining the forums :) It's such a lovely community and you'd find recommendations over there to your heart's galore and more specific to whatever era/genre/character/etc you prefer to read :D

• 4 weeks later...

ahem >_>

I've been reading fanfiction for so long that I can't imagine my life without it FML. I used to read Harry Potter and Criminal Minds fanfiction a lot ... before I delved into animanga ones (oh man yaoi, I did not think I would ever like it but then some wonderful writers came along and ... yeah). I read a lot of kpop fanfiction now and I've written some (kpop, anime and HP) as well.

ahem >_>

I've been reading fanfiction for so long that I can't imagine my life without it FML. I used to read Harry Potter and Criminal Minds fanfiction a lot ... before I delved into animanga ones (oh man yaoi, I did not think I would ever like it but then some wonderful writers came along and ... yeah). I read a lot of kpop fanfiction now and I've written some (kpop, anime and HP) as well.

Link to your work? I review generously.

I used to read this amazing HP fanfic called "The Black Heir", and then its sequel, "Vindico Atrum".

Both were honestly amazing. There was an entirely new, anti-hero type character. Harry's not part of it, focuses more on the evil side of things.

They're both incredibly long, and have the strange power of gluing you to your seat, so proceed with caution :D

Edited by yii yann

I used to read this amazing HP fanfic called "The Black Heir", and then its sequel, "Vindico Atrum".

Both were honestly amazing. There was an entirely new, anti-hero type character. Harry's not part of it, focuses more on the evil side of things.

They're both incredibly long, and have the strange power of gluing you to your seat, so proceed with caution :D

You should try Prince of the Dark Kingdom, it will blow your mind. Especially if you have the time to read it all. It can be very addictive.

The first 10-15 chapters are pretty blah, but once it picks up, it seriously becomes amazing and nothing like anything you've read before.

Edited by Arrowhead

You should try Prince of the Dark Kingdom, it will blow your mind. Especially if you have the time to read it all. It can be very addictive.

The first 10-15 chapters are pretty blah, but once it picks up, it seriously becomes amazing and nothing like anything you've read before.

I'll be sure to check it out ;)

I recently got into fanfiction this past year and I love Harry Potter! But I read Sherlock BBC, Doctor Who, Supernatural, anything really that I've read or watched and liked.

I don't know why but my favorite fanfiction is the angst ones. Maybe I just like watching my characters suffer, but that can't be the case because like when Steven Moffat kills a character I cry. Especially if it's like a really good character. So I don't like to watch them suffer, idk angst is still my favorite :P