Does anybody else read fanfiction?

Arrowhead

Yes, oh my goodness yes! I read it way too much for an IB student. Gosh, all those Bio classes reading Lord of the Rings fanfictions...

I do ship sometimes, but only if I feel it's.... feasible, I guess? I can't describe perfectly, but it has to make sense in a way (AKA I honestly do not think Harry/Snape, Dramoine or Drapple or whatever makes sense at all, it's just downright weird and impossible), and some LOTR fics I've read make me want to curl up in a corner and cry about the future of humanity (gosh, these crazy perverted 13-year-old girls have such an imagination!).

I do read LOTR fics way more than HP fics, although I'm a huge HP fan (I have a Pottermore account and everything). I just find it odd sometimes in HP fics because we literally know what actually happens to everyone since there's the 19 years later epilogue, so if I do read HP fics, its almost always about the Next Generation (i.e Rose Weasley, Albus Potter, James Potter, Hugo Weasley, etc.) I'm a bit of a Scorpius Malfoy/ Rose Weasley shipper, since I can actually see it happening.

As for LOTR fics, I can't stand Frodo/Sam slash fics, because I hate the fact that the beautiful friendship that Frodo and Sam have is completely misunderstood by a bunch of crazy 13-year-olds as a homosexual relationship (guys touching and/or hugging each other doesn't always equal gay, you know). I do read a lot of OC fics, and I have a bit of a thing for spoof fics (I recommend this one, had me clutching my stomach in laughter: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3163665/1/Jackson-Where-s-My-Paycheck )

I tried reading some Kpop fics, but like I said above, touching and hugging between guys does not always equal gay relationship, and that seems to be so prevalent in Kpop fics. I also found people shipping couples for dumb things like wearing the same clothes and whatnot (I know that's a couple thing in Korea, since I have some Korean friends, but still, I doubt that every two people wearing the same clothes are dating). And the rest of them are literally poor attempts at recreating Kdrama plots, but with their favourite idols and OCs. I'd rather just watch the drama.

Wow, that was long, but that's about it. I even wrote a LOTR spoof fic, which I've put on hold for the past year (I'm such a hypocrite), and a Kpop oneshot, but that's it.

Yay, I'm not alone!

This isn't directed at anyone and it's really just my opinion but I feel the need to clarify stuff about yaoi/slash. Yes, hugging/touching someone of the same gender does not mean the character is homosexual, however hugging/touching someone of the opposite gender does not make someone heterosexual either; a girl and a guy can be friends or in a relationship. I'm going to use Harry Potter as an example here--we don't actually know much about Scorpius Malfoy or Rose Weasley, aside from who their parents so if it's alright to ship them, then why isn't it alright to ship them with characters of the same gender? How do we know Rose isn't a lesbian or Scorpius isn't gay?

As for friendship, I agree that the friendship between characters is beautiful and that non-romantic fics are also good, but writing about them as a homosexual couple doesn't necessarily destroy it. It's all a matter of writing those characters in a romantic relationship well so the beauty of their friendship is still preserved despite them being a couple. I've read fics that have achieved this before and really, characters being in a romantic relationship can sometimes be quite ... interesting. For instance, Draco and Harry are sworn enemies and the enmity between them is interesting, but what would drive them to be in a romantic relationship? What would their relationship be like? It would be even more interesting to see what could happen if they were to hook up o:. In my opinion, it's all a matter of the fic being written well.

I would also like to point out that often kpop fanservice is more than just touching or hugging and shipping is so common in kpop that even idols joke about it all the time. People forget that we don't know anything about idols--they could be straight or they could be gay and honestly, it doesn't matter. Quite frankly, I don't see what's wrong with writing slash fanfiction, even if there's a chance idols could come across it. I mean, yes, the NC-17 ones would make them uncomfortable, but considering the various other stresses that idols face and the fact that sasaeng fans pose as so much more of a threat to them than fans who ship them, I think they'd really just laugh it off. Besides, entertainment companies often use friendships between idols for fanservice and essentially portray it as more than friendship ... so in a sense it's almost encouraged. I think friendship/BrOTP fics are great; I like it when people can weave beautiful stories without having to include romance in them and of course hugging/touching someone of the same gender doesn't make you gay, however, I don't see that much of a problem with yaoi/slash. It just needs to be written and put together well. So long as it isn't too, uh, graphic, I can see why that would make people royally uncomfortable.

Also, OC stories bother me immensely, as do OOC stories. I haven't come across a lot of OC stories where the OC doesn't sicken me because she's incredibly intelligent/somehow more powerful than the main character/constantly a victim/needs to be taken care of despite constantly telling everyone that she doesn't need help ... it's not the individual traits that bother me but the way they play into the story. I'm always going to be more interested in a character of the fandom than the OC. This might really just be me nitpicking though because I'm very particular about everything I read. I have to admit, any story that attempts to recreate a k-drama's plot is more likely to fail than one that doesn't in my eyes.

@IBnJamSandwich: The thing about the couple culture in Korea isn't quite 'two people wearing the same thing so they must be dating'. It's not about them wearing say, the same cap or the same wristband. It's more like two people dressed in very, very similar or complementary outfits--same-coloured pants, shirts that are of the same style or are somehow complementary to each other, similar shoes, the same kinds of accessories and couple rings. Of course two people could wear the same cap and not be considered a couple but what are the odds that two people will somehow be seen at the same place, most likely beside each other, dressed in outfits that are creepily similar to each other but aren't romantically involved? Not very high, lol. The only exception is probably idols/performers who wear complementary costumes and nobody assumes they're in an orgy. It's kind of weird if you're not used to Korean culture (which I'm not XD) and I'm still trying to wrap my head around why people would wear such similar clothes to display their status as a couple, but people generally don't assume that two guys wearing the same cap are together. (:

Edited by Wicquor
  • Like 2

I love reading fanfiction! It's one of my guilty pleasures, since the vast majority of the time I'll be procrastinating on several important assignments while I read lol.

I usually read Star Trek Reboot (ST2009) fanfictions, particularly the angsty ones that focus on Jim. I love me some hurt!Jim. In fact, it's probably unhealthy how much I enjoy reading hurt!Jim fics haha.

I agree with what Wicquor posted above about OC's/OOC fics. They are really irritating unless I need something to brighten my day and the author warns readers that the fic is a crack one with lots of OOC-ness.

I don't ship very often, particularly not with Jim. I've always felt like Jim is more of a "married to the job" kind of guy, especially because 1) in The Original Series his relationships with women never work out, and 2) he loves his ship. He truly loves it, as people who've seen Into Darkness can testify. :) However, I get really irritated when people put him in a relationship with Spock, because it's canon that Spock's with Uhura. I also get irritated when people make Jim be part of any homosexual relationship, because the reboot movies clearly show that he is heterosexual, meaning that it's canon.

That brings me to another topic - I strongly dislike fics that ruin canon. Unless the author warns the readers that it's an AU (of an AU...lol) and the writing is actually of excellent quality. Otherwise, I probably won't read past halfway through the first chapter.

I visited the HP fandom a couple times and got scared :P so I've stuck with Star Trek 2009 fics.

• Like 1

I visited the HP fandom a couple times and got scared :P so I've stuck with Star Trek 2009 fics.

Let me introduce you to the dark side. I've read more HP FF over the years than anyone ever should, what kind of fics would you actually like? Humour/Parody, Adventure, Adult Adventure, Next Gen, AU, name your vice. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Okie...I'm about to suggest something that I never thought I would but sometimes the impossible happens.

Are you ready for this?

A Harry Potter/Avatar: The Last Airbender crossover fanfiction story. I know! It sounds like a disaster, but dear God this is such an awesome story! I had a friend email it to me this evening and I'm spellbound reading it. Just give it a try --> https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8616362/1/Harry-Potter-The-Last-Avatar

Edited by Arrowhead