Geography IA Topic?

IBnJamSandwich

Ah, the pain of the Geography IA - I remember it well. I too did my IA on Option G, though I thought that my analysis of different cultural presences in a town was pretty uninspiring stuff. If you are looking to do Option G, I suggest you measure something that is easily quantifiable - e.g. land use, height, shop frontage - rather than something which isn't. So, I would strongly recommend a topic that has a strongly quantifiable and physical focus - so make your question and ensuing hypothesis specific. I would also suggest something local. Try looking through geography textbooks - not just IB - for urban fieldwork inspiration.

Otherwise, you don't have to stick to urban. If there's another option that catches your eye, you can do that too. In hindsight, I would have chosen my option from a topic that has a more prominent aspect of 'physical' geography, as it's easier to measure, or even from environmental aspects of Option G. Good luck!

• Like 1

Ah, the pain of the Geography IA - I remember it well. I too did my IA on Option G, though I thought that my analysis of different cultural presences in a town was pretty uninspiring stuff. If you are looking to do Option G, I suggest you measure something that is easily quantifiable - e.g. land use, height, shop frontage - rather than something which isn't. So, I would strongly recommend a topic that has a strongly quantifiable and physical focus - so make your question and ensuing hypothesis specific. I would also suggest something local. Try looking through geography textbooks - not just IB - for urban fieldwork inspiration.

Otherwise, you don't have to stick to urban. If there's another option that catches your eye, you can do that too. In hindsight, I would have chosen my option from a topic that has a more prominent aspect of 'physical' geography, as it's easier to measure, or even from environmental aspects of Option G. Good luck!

Thanks! I did kind of stick to urban, though I'm not exactly sure.

This is my topic. Not sure what topic it belongs to though.

What age groups utilise public transport more often in Oakville?

Why: This study will show that a particular age group does not use public transport as much. A survey can be conducted to find out why certain age groups use or do not use public transport. Using these results, inferences can be made as to how to improve public transportation for these age groups (such as community shuttles in Vancouver, etc.)

• Like 1

That sounds like an interesting topic. Have you though about looking into how different age groups catch public transport. You could look into whether old people tend to take short trpis, with a different number of connections than young people. Whether the amount of people of different ages varies depending on the time of day, place in the area, etc.

It does sound good though.

• Like 1

That sounds like an interesting topic. Have you though about looking into how different age groups catch public transport. You could look into whether old people tend to take short trpis, with a different number of connections than young people. Whether the amount of people of different ages varies depending on the time of day, place in the area, etc.

It does sound good though.

Yup, that's going to be part of my IA, since I will also include a survey for people where they will be asked about how often they use public transport, why they use it, they average amount of stops they have between their starting point and destination, etc.

Thanks! Glad to know I'm in the right direction! :)