A book that led you to have passion in literature?

Ryoika

When I was little I used to love The little White Horse by Elisabeth Goudge. It's about a girl that finds out that she is "the princess of the moon" (or something like that), but it's not the usual fairytale story. I used to read it again and again!!

After that one, I remembar reading Harry Potter, which I also loved and that's reason why I started reading fantasy books

The Witches, by Ronald Dahl <3

I have to admit, that one terrified me the first time I read it. I was nine and eating candy. I'm sure you can see why.

Lol, I can see that.

The romantic poetry unit I had earlier this year has changed my views on poetry forever. Keats and Shelley are so talented and are amazing with the technical aspects as well as the content. That is what impressed me most (and made me more self-concious about my own poetry).

For books, Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day. Man realizes his whole life was supporting a Nazi sympathizer and that he passed on love for that. Deeply emotional, and surprisingly comedic at times.

Er I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the first book that got me stuck into reading (pretty much every day) was Harry Potter when I was 5!

The series that got me into more 'upper class' i.e. Wuthering Heights, 1984, 1Q84, Kafka on the Shore, Les Mis etc... would probably be GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire!

Outside fantasy literature, I think it was Orwell's Animal Farm. It completely changed my way of thinking and got me to read things other than Harry Potter (which I read exclusively for about two years, over and over again) and fantasy trilogies. Reading 1984 after liking Animal Farm me interested in dystopias and all my favourite books nowadays.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson was the first "real" book I ever read (I think I was 9 at the time) and I've been reading ever since.

The Hardy Boys series are forever attributed to my name because I totally went 'super-fangirl-mode' (whatever that is) and started collecting them by the dozens. (I think I still have ~40 of 'em in my bookshelf as of now)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

It's a fantasy novel, the first in a rather long series called The Gentlemen Bastards series.

What really awed me was the ability of the author to write so many minute details in such gravitational depth. It is unbelievable the amount of attention that Scott Lynch has put into every single detail of his book.

They're not short novels either, each book is 500 pages or more!

I recommend this book series for everyone and anyone with an imaginative mind.

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I have read it at the age of 13 and since then I read a lot so obviously it led me to have a passion for literature. Such a well-written book! Charles Dickens is the guy! I wish I have read it in English, though. :( Hopefully I will soon speak English well enough the explore the wonderful world of English literature in its original language.

Edited by Sceptyczka

At different points in my life, different books have gotten me interested in literature, or specific genres of it. 

I think the book that first got me into literature was Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts.

A month before moving to Mumbai, I read it in 2005 over 3 days, after seeing my dad read it. I wasn't particularly keen on moving to Mumbai, but the book sort of made me give Mumbai a chance and I loved it. I've been into all sorts of books ever since. :D 

Anything Roald Dahl - Yeeees please !  I love James and the Giant Peach (with illustrations by Nancy Ekholm Burkert -- no one else comes close!).

I read Swallows and Amazons, among others in the series and I guess I must have liked them, as I see them stacked in the shelves in my childhood home, but now (nostalgia?) I seem to like them even more for what they represent. I've been told I resemble Nancy Blackett -- but that has little to do with my love for reading and adventure.

I guess my passion for reading was firmly established early on -- but the stirrings of a literary interest .. maybe William Golding -- an appreciation for the suggestiveness of his scenery and flair for presenting us with big fundamental questions, nicely packaged. 

• Like 1