"A" on the essay "C" on the Presentation...?

Oscar A

So I know that each student has the opportunity to earn 3 points from the E.E. and TOK. I do have the chart that tells you how many points you get according to your grade in each one. But I don't understand the one for TOK, I was predicted a 38 on my essay, which is A, and got a 14 on my mock presentation, which is a C.

I'm still missing my real presentation, but let's imagine I get a 14.

So, for the final grade is it a B? Or because I did got a high A on my essay, can it be an A?

And what is the minimum (if I do get a 38 on my essay) that I have to have in my presentation to get an A on the overall TOK grade?

It's the overall /60 that counts for tok. an A in tok is generally ~48/60 these days, so 14/20 presentation would mean you require 34+/40 in the essay for the A.

whilst i don't mean to undermine yourself, your essay or your teacher i will also tentatively point out that 38/40 in the essay is NOT a light achievement and is not a common or likely thing. Most people in my exam session who anticipated an A in tok or roughly 30+/40 ended up with sub-20, even sub-15 scores. What i'm saying is that the tok examiners are the most random and harsh markers ever. One will give your essay 35/40. Another would give it 15/40. Do not rely on a teacher saying '38/40 ' - their prediction has no weight or influence whatsoever and is most likely way over... my essay was anticipated at being mid-20s by the harshest marker in my school, who didnt give anyone a prediction of 30 (and our school had both: quantity and quality in students). My essay was given 13/40. upon remark it was given ~20/40.

core is the silent killer... the two essays that may get randomly praised or ripped to shreds based on the examiner. i was anticipated A/B in EE/TOK. I got D/C, later D/B. it's tough mate, happened to most people as well. our school had two 44 pointers: both got two Bs at core :P

Overall message here: give your EE and tok essay attention and perfecting, yes, but your subjects are much more important, worth more, and are safer points... spend more time and worrying on them, once you've finished your core essays forget them, they're done, and predictions for them hold no weight and can be disappointingly over-predicted.

let's just hope you are the guy that gets 38/40 in his tok essay, you might well be :) just be warned of the unlikeliness, and keep away from counting on them or thinking of them as a 'sure thing' - that was my mistake.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: FYI, 14/20 is a D :P 13-14 = D; 15-16 = C; 17-18 = B; 19-20 = A. I will reiterate though that the letter matters not, the overall mark total is what counts!

• Like 1

Really? According to this page 13-15 is a C http://www.timwoods.org/classes/tok/tok-grading/

But whatever...

I do know that. A 38 is very difficult to get, however my teacher is famous for being strict and predicting lower grades. Obviously I won't get higher than 38, however I do think I will receive at least a 34.

Anyways, what do you mean about "remark" ? If you think your grade is unfair, you ask for a remark?

Really? According to this page 13-15 is a C http://www.timwoods.org/classes/tok/tok-grading/

But whatever...

I do know that. A 38 is very difficult to get, however my teacher is famous for being strict and predicting lower grades. Obviously I won't get higher than 38, however I do think I will receive at least a 34.

Anyways, what do you mean about "remark" ? If you think your grade is unfair, you ask for a remark?

In the IB you can get any of your exams or your EE/TOK grade remarked. The most common reasons are you are extremely close to the next grade boundary (like 2% away from a 6 and you're at a 5) or if you are suspicious about your grade and think it might be lower due to circumstances beyond your control. You usually have to pay for a remark, but if you really want to you can get it remarked. However, TOK essays are externally assessed (sent out and graded by someone other than your teacher) and usually, unless in a really rare case, the essays don't change by more than a point or two when you remark them.

@Emmi like mine, which increased by 7+ marks :P

@Oscar I believe Emmi has answered your question regarding remarks, but there you go, as I say I wasn't trying to be harsh or negative, just giving fair warning - my teacher was also famously strict at marking these and usually was found to 'undermark' compared to the examiners, but so many people got low essay grades in 2013. Again, let's hope your essay DOES get 38/40 - or even 34/40 - either way is a remarkable achievement. Most people's route to the A in Tok consists of 18-20 in the presentation and 28-31 ish in the essay :)