HL History-- coping or not?

schouston1991

Hey!!

I think that whether you succeed in HL History depends greatly on the motivation and effort of your teachers. Plus your own interests in history as a whole. In the course of studying History with quite boring and unmotivating teachers, I saw that it really wasn't my subject. You have to read tons of pages--no kidding, History HL required the most reading during the two IB years. I'm personally not saying that history is not interesting--just reading thousands of pages on a subject bores me! :P

However you decide, good luck with everything !!

I have had one history lesson lol :P so yeh whatever i dont have a very good... basis? Anyway, she brought in a pile of about 20 sheets, and then textbooks, and told us to read all of the sheets and one of the smaller textbooks by next lesson, we then also made about 4 pages of notes and she told us to "put the flesh on the bones" (yes shes weird) and add more. :P is this common, does it just seem like loads to me because im coming up from gcse's?

do you get used to the work? :P

I have had one history lesson lol :P so yeh whatever i dont have a very good... basis? Anyway, she brought in a pile of about 20 sheets, and then textbooks, and told us to read all of the sheets and one of the smaller textbooks by next lesson, we then also made about 4 pages of notes and she told us to "put the flesh on the bones" (yes shes weird) and add more. :P is this common, does it just seem like loads to me because im coming up from gcse's?

do you get used to the work? :P

i knwo how you feel. we had three or foru textbook... i don't remebr now... and then on op of that in every unti we did he printed off 20 to 50pages that we had to read as well.. i never read them all. i just skimed for the answers to the questions he was asking, but i don't alws recomend tat, becaus i learnded tha imissed a lot of importat thing dong that.

but you will get used to it eventually.

yup, thats right. Teachers basically choose what they want their students to know.

I think its like a double edged sword. If you have a good teacher, than thats great. If you have a bad teacher, well...that just plain bites.

Thankfully, my teacher is one of the oldest around so she knows exactly what IB wants and what it will probably test.

As far as coping goes, one week into school and already loaded with homework and handouts. I hate the handouts. They never tell you to read them but always expect you to. Thats like a deathly trap. DONT FALL FOR IT! READ YOUR HANDOUTS!

Hmm...I should take my own advice!

If you have a good teacher, than thats great. If you have a bad teacher, well...that just plain bites.
True. Luckily my history teacher is quite good and has been teaching it for quite a while. She often tells us stories about previous IB History papers, so it seems like she knows quite a lot! I think she prepares us well and teaches well, so yeah I'm pretty happy with my history teacher. If i had a bad history teacher I'm sure that I would find HL History impossible lol

• 3 weeks later...

I take History HL and next week we're having our first test about the First World War, for which we only have to read 45 pages. I thought you had to read much more for the history course, but I guess the course material will increase successively? We use Norman Lowe's "Mastering Modern World History", but we were also given a few other textbooks at the beginning of this semester.

My year is the second year to go through IB (Seniors being the first). History HL is mandatory because we have limited classes since its so new to us.

I love History! Always did great in it, and so far the workload hasn't been too stressful... maybe since it's just the beginning. But luckily my teacher doesn't believe in assigning too much homework besides reading most of the time. So far the hardest thing she has us do is an oral essay and graded it pretty easy. She's a really good teacher and very interesting... her voice keeps you awake[;.

We also use Norman Lowe's Mastering Modern World History, and it is a very good starting point. He summarizes up the main factors and gives different views about them. You can do quite well, by reading that extensively. Besides that we use T. E. Vadney's The world since 1945, also a good book.

But in order to really master some topic I find it useful to get a good historical study of that. This gives more reading, but I happen to enjoy it -_- And even if you don't you can get by with only 2 or 3 well known areas.

Ok I know I'm going to be biased since I'm going to study history at uni :D

but nevertheless, I feel history is not a difficult subject, as long as you're passionate about it and is genuinely interested in all the topics you study -_-

the history IA isn't hard at all as long as you follow the structure:)

we also have awesome handouts from our teachers

both history classes in my school have two different teachers, which is excellent as they give different views and opinions on the issues

Edited by rubii

• 2 weeks later...