Interested in studying engineering? Ask questions here.

Emmi

Hi, I was thinking of self studying for some AP's while doing the IB program     

This is my schedule : 

Chem HL

Math HL

Economics HL

Theatre SL

Spanish ab SL

English Lit SL

I was maybe thinking of Self studying for AP Physics and AP computer science in addition to these IB subjects. I want to apply to either Engineering, CHemistry or Computer Science in university (uk), I was just worried that the College admissions officer would prefer me to IB physics since I'm doing IB math and not AP physics, So would it better to make this my schedule if this were the case or is fine to continue with my original schedule and self study for AP physics and AP comp science: 

Math HL

Chem HL

Physics HL

Economics SL

Spanish ab SL

English Lit SL 

and self study for AP comp science 

Hi, I was thinking of self studying for some AP's while doing the IB program     

This is my schedule : 

Chem HL

Math HL

Economics HL

Theatre SL

Spanish ab SL

English Lit SL

I was maybe thinking of Self studying for AP Physics and AP computer science in addition to these IB subjects. I want to apply to either Engineering, CHemistry or Computer Science in university (uk), I was just worried that the College admissions officer would prefer me to IB physics since I'm doing IB math and not AP physics, So would it better to make this my schedule if this were the case or is fine to continue with my original schedule and self study for AP physics and AP comp science: 

Math HL

Chem HL

Physics HL

Economics SL

Spanish ab SL

English Lit SL 

and self study for AP comp science 

If you're seriously considering engineering, chemistry, or computer science why would you not take HL physics? Especially for the UK, where it's a hard requirement at pretty much every single university. Physics is the basis for chemistry and engineering. It's less so in computer science, but if you'd like to get into the hardware side of computers, physics is used a lot in designing the architecture of the components and circuitry.

Just take economics at SL and take physics at HL, and learn AP computer science in your own time if you have the time and motivation to do so. The UK is different from the US, they don't really care about random AP courses in addition to the diploma, they want you to have an IB diploma with relevant subjects to the course you're applying for. You can do the AP course as an extra thing if you'd like to have that kind of knowledge for your own benefit, but it probably won't be of much use when applying for universities.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guyz...I am doing my 1st Year IBDP an i have taken the following subjects

1.Math SL

2.Chemistry HL

3.Physics HL

4.French SL

5. ITGS HL

6.English SL

Is this course selection OK for persuading Software engineering at universities????

Depends, not having HL math may hurt you. Software engineering is very math-intensive. Where were you looking to apply to uni (the UK, the US, Canada, etc?)

looking for the US and the UK...or the best place for  persuading Software engineering..

You should be okay for the US. Probably not for the very top universities, but you'll be okay for most of them. Going to the UK for engineering with SL math is going to be very difficult unless you have a legitimate reason for not taking HL math (which is basically you would have done it but your school didn't offer it).

yup alright..thanks!.. :phone:

Wats the advice for keeping up with IB??.... :question:

Just do things when they get assigned, and don't leave them until the last minute. You should have a lot of IAs to complete in IB2, so don't save them until the last minute. If your school is nice, they will spread them out instead of assigning them all at once. Do big things like IAs (and your EE/TOK paper if you haven't finished it) in small chunks to break it up, and try to get them out of the way early so you have plenty of time to study for the IB exams.

Hey all, was planning on applying for engineering in the UK as a backup but Im currently in nL. Hope to go to US though after uni, hows the transition?

The transition depends on the school. It's pretty tough, but it's not impossible. Hopefully you are well-prepared with basic math and physics skills (and chemistry, if you're doing an engineering discipline involving it in some way), but as long as you have that you should be okay to transition into uni life. Just do things early, and get help from professors/lecturers right away if you start to not understand something, because it all builds on each other. I survived, and you can too.

hey! i just started my IBDP. my subjects are phy, chem, and math - HL. i'm planning on applying for computer engineering (major in software engineering) in UK and Canada. any tips on how to get 7 in all of them? also, where do you get the practice questions from? i really need them, especially for math

hey! i just started my IBDP. my subjects are phy, chem, and math - HL. i'm planning on applying for computer engineering (major in software engineering) in UK and Canada. any tips on how to get 7 in all of them? also, where do you get the practice questions from? i really need them, especially for math

You can get a 7 by doing a lot of hard work, including doing lots of practice problems and past papers, and understanding everything on the syllabus. You can get practice questions from question banks, or past papers. You can find these online illegally or by asking your teacher.

Thanks for the advice, but I mean't transition from uk degree to getting a job in the States with a dutch passport. Its been a dream to live in the States for me, IM literally obsessed about it especially near around NY, philly and bostno.

Oh sorry :P While I've never lived in another country, I moved to a very different part of the US after I finished IB to go to uni. The transition wasn't too bad, and I'm much better now after a few years, but it was a bit hard at first because things were really different and I didn't know much about the area I had moved to. I had to get used to different weather, different people, and different ways of doing things (which weren't too different, but weren't what I was used to). It helps if you can make some really good friends when you move to the US, because they'll show you around and help you get used to wherever you end up going, and will give you support if you ever feel homesick.

I am a student in IB2 with Physics HL, Chemistry HL, English HL, Economics HL. Maths SL and English SL and I have always dreamt of becoming an engineering particularly a mechanical or electrical engineer. I know that many universities in the UK would not accept me because I do not have HL maths however what is the case in the rest of the world such as Canada, the US and rest of Europe? Could anyone who was in the same shoes or is in the same shoes as me help me out :D?

I am a student in IB2 with Physics HL, Chemistry HL, English HL, Economics HL. Maths SL and English SL and I have always dreamt of becoming an engineering particularly a mechanical or electrical engineer. I know that many universities in the UK would not accept me because I do not have HL maths however what is the case in the rest of the world such as Canada, the US and rest of Europe? Could anyone who was in the same shoes or is in the same shoes as me help me out :D?

You'd be fine for most schools in the US, with the exception of maybe the top couple of engineering schools where taking HL math or its equivalent is pretty much expected. But if you had a legitimate reason for not taking HL math, such as your school not offering it, then you might be able to get into those places provided the rest of your application is strong.

I was in SL math and am doing fine in engineering.

• 1 month later...

You can get a 7 by doing a lot of hard work, including doing lots of practice problems and past papers, and understanding everything on the syllabus. You can get practice questions from question banks, or past papers. You can find these online illegally or by asking your teacher.

Thanks for the advice, but I mean't transition from uk degree to getting a job in the States with a dutch passport. Its been a dream to live in the States for me, IM literally obsessed about it especially near around NY, philly and bostno.

Oh sorry :P While I've never lived in another country, I moved to a very different part of the US after I finished IB to go to uni. The transition wasn't too bad, and I'm much better now after a few years, but it was a bit hard at first because things were really different and I didn't know much about the area I had moved to. I had to get used to different weather, different people, and different ways of doing things (which weren't too different, but weren't what I was used to). It helps if you can make some really good friends when you move to the US, because they'll show you around and help you get used to wherever you end up going, and will give you support if you ever feel homesick.

where do i get the question bank for mac? i need it for math phy and chem 

• 2 weeks later...

I just have a question. Is engineering really THAT hard? i hear everyone talking about how engineering will kick your butt and most people flunk out. I dont see myself anywhere else other than studying aerospace, or at least engineering. And all the people saying that it is hard are scaring me.

Is it also true that coming from the IB college doesnt seem that hard?