B&M HL or Eco HL?

im looking at a career in business, my school offers both B&M and Eco, so is B&M HL worth it?? -since unis don't really care if you take it or not- or should i take both eco and B&M??? and is it virtually impossible to get a 7 in eco?!?!

may 2010 candidate

First of all, it's just as easy to get a 7 in eco as in any other Group 3 subject, or actually a bit easier... It all depends on the student in the end, though. Universities, however, do not like B&M at all, they see it as a soft subject. Economics, on the other hand, is a subject they do think is valuble - especially if you want to study business/finance/economics. So you are definitely a lot better off taking eco instead of B&M for the next two years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To my point of view, I would say I will definitely go for Economics HL if my school offers both of it. Economics, to be honest, is preferred over Business & Management. However, Statistically more people get 7 with Economics rather than Business Management. It's due to the fact that Business & Management is more specific and this causes its difficulties, and sadly, also this causes disregard from universities. On top of that, Economics is less respected than Science subjects so if you're good at Science and think that you're more likely to obtain 7 in that Science subject in Higher Level.

• Like 2

Business is considered "easier", but the uni's don't like it that much (one of the few subject that are on a list of subject of which you can only have one)

So even though eco is considered harder, i would still advice you to take eco. It will prepare you better for uni, and you might be easier admitted. (even if you happend to get 1 grade point less)

• 2 weeks later...

my teacher would say economics, because BM is an 'artificial' subject that has been created not so long ago, as an easy subject..

furthermore, it is one of the subjects on the list that cambridge and the london school of economics published as being 'too soft' and not up to the level of other ib or a level subjects..

so i guess there must be some kind of distinction between the two, from the unis' POV.

personally, go for eco! haha

cheers, Bee

I take both business & management and economics HL, and I think that both are equally hard.

Basically if you take economics, you will have to be very logical because you will deal with such things as graphs. You will also have to read and watch a lot of news, because you will understand the subject a lot more. The advantage is that the materials are much less than business. However, you must remember that economics is very theoretical, so the things that are taught are mostly not applicable in the real world.

If you take business, the materials will be a lot, but the subject is very easy and general (a lot of people should basically know the things that are discussed in this subject), and the subject is very applicable in the real world.

So in conclusion, its all up to you and your way of seeing the two subjects, but personally I think you should take business because its more realistic.

I take both business and economics HL, and both of them are equally hard, but in a different way.

Business has a lot of materials to cover, but the topics are very general (most people should already know the answer), and the maths are very easy. The subject is also very applicable to the real world.

Economics does not have as much materials, but you have to be very logical and know a lot about the world economic, cos that would really help a lot (you should read and watch a lot of news). You will mostly deal with graphs and you will have to practice a lot on wring long essays, because, in the test, even the things that are not mentioned in the questions must be included. The subject is very theoretical, so most of the materials are not applicable in the real world.

I would say that business is better because its more general and applicable in the real world, but of economics matter more in university applications then u should probably take econ. :punish:

• 3 weeks later...